Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He spent the whole night on the floor...

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2017 at 9:49 PM
  • 8 Replies
In the bathroom and no one noticed!
My uncle fell the other night. His wife, my aunt and other aunt's husband got him up. I guess he fell again in the night (They think heart attack) and was found in morning. They finally decided to call 911.

He's in the icu, just had surgery because they suspect a tear in his intestine. He was refusing treatment but I guess he got convinced to do it. They gave him a 50/50 chance. He survived.

My aunt(not his wife) and her daughter have power of attorney over my uncle and aunts money. That's a whole other story. But I guess no one thought of having one over medical.

His wife is an alcoholic which probably contributed to why he was on the floor all night.
by on Aug. 20, 2017 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 9:54 PM

Ok, well 1) he's been refusing treatment, so how would anyone know how bad his health really is and 2) if he feel in the middle of the night, it's unlikely that anyone would notice until they woke up. 

I can tell you hate your uncle's wife, but it isn't her fault that her husband refuses medical treatment until he has to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. 

proudmother5946
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 10:47 PM
1) he was refusing treatment after he got to the hospital.

2) I love my aunt and yes she's an alcoholic. My other aunt works in the medical field and I would think she'd know enough to call an ambulance after the first fall.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 10:56 PM

What a sad situation.  :-/ 

How old is your uncle and his wife? 

proudmother5946
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 3:41 AM
They're around 82.
My uncle is diabetic and was very obese. He looked smaller in the hospital picture I saw.
My aunt is an alcoholic and collects all the stray cats in the neighbourhood. She3d spend all the money on feeding them but couldn't afford to go to the doctor. My mom would get mad about that.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 8:25 PM

Oh boy! I hope that someone will now get POA for his medical needs. Poor man needs some help and obviously his wife isn't going to give it to him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 8:34 PM
I hope your uncle is able to pass away soon, quickly, and peacefully.

Quoting proudmother5946: They're around 82.
My uncle is diabetic and was very obese. He looked smaller in the hospital picture I saw.
My aunt is an alcoholic and collects all the stray cats in the neighbourhood. She3d spend all the money on feeding them but couldn't afford to go to the doctor. My mom would get mad about that.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

proudmother5946
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 9:00 PM
He made it through the first surgery. They have to do another one. Also now he probably needs dialysis too.

There's no way my aunt will be able to care for him herself. She's not in good shape either.

When she was caring for my mom temporarily years ago and she woke up blind in one eye. She had a stroke in her eye. The vision never came back.

I'm surprised that no one had a POA on them either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 9:18 PM
They might need to be in a home where someone can keep an eye on them.

Quoting proudmother5946: They're around 82.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)