Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want what she has ... THE Sequel !!

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:05 AM
  • 22 Replies

For those unfamiliar with the first saga ... the original post is below

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118667/forums/read/21688270/I_want_what_she_has

SOooooo !  The friend did end up going to the nail salon but not only wanted what my DD had but wanted to up her one, so at 14 years old she decided to get a full set of acrylic tips, with shellac.  When DD told me I bit my lip in order not to scream how stupid this was.   This girl is not a girly girl, she's never had long nails in her life and she's so young... she should have started with just a shellac manicure.  Never mind the fact that you must upkeep acrylic nails every 2 to 3 weeks ... Anyways I didn't say anything negative I listened to DD tell me the story how her friend spent $57 for her nails.  

Sure enough yesterday DD tells me that her friend ripped all her nails off this weekend... turns out she didn't like them after all.  (she claims they hurt her - which is BS - nails don't hurt)  In my head, I slowly clap my hands with a disconnected look ... my DD's hard earned money down the toilet for something that didn't even last 6 days.  That whole fiasco just because she wanted what my DD had.  I can't even ....

wasted time, wasted money and disrupted everyone for something that lasted 5 days ....

My Daughter, My Life, My Fight

by on Sep. 12, 2017 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmomoof3
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 10:07 AM
Wow! I would tell the mother exactly this! & tell her she needs better friends
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 10:09 AM

i remember responding to this but i forget why your DD felt she had to pay for it? can you remind me so i don't have to re-read it? thanks! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 10:13 AM
It's time to say no. Take the blame, be the bad guy, but make it clear that no one in your home is to spend another penny on that girl. When her mom calls for favors you say no.
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 10:53 AM

I got DD a shellac manicure with color changing polish the week before school started.  When the friend saw DD's nails she instantly wanted the same thing, the friend somehow guilt tripped DD into paying a part of it as a belated birthday gift (we were away on vacation during the friend's bday party - we did pick her up a gift while on vacation but DD felt it wasn't enough)  this friend tends to "buy" DD's friendship and always gets her little presents here and there so DD felt like compelled to contribute to the nail fiasco.

I had specifically told the mom to just book a shellac manicure, NOT a nail set - that it would be wasted money especially that she'd never had any kind of experience before but NOOOO nobody listened to me.

So it was a whole thing, not only did DD pay for a part of it, but the friend being 100% unfamiliar with nail care insisted that DD go with her to the nail salon, they wanted to go on a weekday which I refused because school had started, I made the mom reschedule for the weekend. So they went Last Sunday and Monday, DD told me that her friend had ripped all her nails off over the weekend. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

i remember responding to this but i forget why your DD felt she had to pay for it? can you remind me so i don't have to re-read it? thanks! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM

no just no!!!!!! i hope you learn from this situation and never make your DD pay for any part of anything for her friend ever again! this is just wrong and makes it like your DD's presents are never enough and this friend will always ask for more! i know people like this!!! please don't ever make DD do this again! hugs!

Quoting Jinxed8:

I got DD a shellac manicure with color changing polish the week before school started.  When the friend saw DD's nails she instantly wanted the same thing, the friend somehow guilt tripped DD into paying a part of it as a belated birthday gift (we were away on vacation during the friend's bday party - we did pick her up a gift while on vacation but DD felt it wasn't enough)  this friend tends to "buy" DD's friendship and always gets her little presents here and there so DD felt like compelled to contribute to the nail fiasco.

I had specifically told the mom to just book a shellac manicure, NOT a nail set - that it would be wasted money especially that she'd never had any kind of experience before but NOOOO nobody listened to me.

So it was a whole thing, not only did DD pay for a part of it, but the friend being 100% unfamiliar with nail care insisted that DD go with her to the nail salon, they wanted to go on a weekday which I refused because school had started, I made the mom reschedule for the weekend. So they went Last Sunday and Monday, DD told me that her friend had ripped all her nails off over the weekend. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:00 AM

She's 14.  You should have told your daughter that she was not allowed to spend her money that way and told the kid's mom that if her daughter wanted her nails done then she can take her own daughter to the salon and get it done, your daughter was not going to finance it, that's ridiculous.

And you should tell your daughter that she needs to take a break from this girl.  And she needs to stop thinking that she needs to take care of everybody and buy them shit.  If you're buying friends, then they're not really friends.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:10 AM

I bit my tongue for the most part ... I just said "she did what ?" and when DD said she said the nails were hurting her (as to excuse the behaviour) I didn't need to speak, I believe my face said it all...

That night I had to deal with my own fiasco as we had to remove DD's shellac (it's a timely process) which my DD didn't have the patience for, she ended up trying FFW'ing through the process and tried to hack the shellac off with a metal tool instead of soaking her nails like I had instructed her to and dammaged 2 of her nails, then was crying because her nails were messed up  and I told her right there and then that she was evidently too young to deal with this and that she wasn't getting this done again anytime soon.

And mark my word, she is NOT spending another penny on that girl ... hell she still owes me $20 of household chores to finish paying for this.  And the mom can grow a fucking back bone I ain't getting involved in their sagas anymore.

Quoting Anonymous 2: It's time to say no. Take the blame, be the bad guy, but make it clear that no one in your home is to spend another penny on that girl. When her mom calls for favors you say no.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:13 AM

I didn't make her do anything ... I actually was 100% against the whole ordeal.  I gave my daughter a very lengthy speach about money and respect and wasting money even if it was out of the goodness of her heart and for a friend. I told her she was not to do this again. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

no just no!!!!!! i hope you learn from this situation and never make your DD pay for any part of anything for her friend ever again! this is just wrong and makes it like your DD's presents are never enough and this friend will always ask for more! i know people like this!!! please don't ever make DD do this again! hugs!

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:16 AM

okay then "make" is the wrong word. don't ALLOW your DD to do this ever again.

Quoting Jinxed8:

I didn't make her do anything ... I actually was 100% against the whole ordeal.  I gave my daughter a very lengthy speach about money and respect and wasting money even if it was out of the goodness of her heart and for a friend. I told her she was not to do this again. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM

I did tell her all that ... the mom of the girl is no better.  She was begging me to let DD go with her daughter to the nail salon (some BS about her self confidence)  I told DD money doesn't buy friends and this goes both ways.  We were going to have to instate strict rules about that if it was becoming an issue.

Now, there's a school meeting tonight ... I'm totally expecting a text any minute now because I know the mom is going to want to carpool with me tonight ... I gotta rack my brain for an excuse.  I'm not in the mood to deal with her right now

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

She's 14.  You should have told your daughter that she was not allowed to spend her money that way and told the kid's mom that if her daughter wanted her nails done then she can take her own daughter to the salon and get it done, your daughter was not going to finance it, that's ridiculous.

And you should tell your daughter that she needs to take a break from this girl.  And she needs to stop thinking that she needs to take care of everybody and buy them shit.  If you're buying friends, then they're not really friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)