Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does work or kids come first?

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:22 AM
  • 32 Replies
I picked up a part time retail job after my youngest started school to help my husband with bills and give me some extra cash. I’m about 3 weeks into the job right now. Here’s my issue:
I asked my boss multiple times to give me Saturday off for DD’s birthday, but she scheduled me for ALL day Saturday! Now she’s asking me to come in tomorrow, on my day off, which is also the day the kids are out of school for teacher workday. When I asked about Saturday, she said I’d have to find someone to trade with, but funny thing is, when someone else needs to be off, she just rearranges the schedule for them, or calls me. But no, she wants me to go beg other people! What would you do?
by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofthem311
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Find another job and make sure you are very clear about when you can work

At my last job I told them exactly when I could work and they hired me knowing that I wouldn't be able to deviate from that schedule. It was one of the best jobs I ever had
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:42 AM

What's the name of the company you work for in this retail job?  Also how long have you worked there?

cherry1221
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:57 AM
Dollar General, 3 weeks

Quoting Anonymous 1:

What's the name of the company you work for in this retail job?  Also how long have you worked there?

cherry1221
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Bump
illneverbeold
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 1:29 PM

You're the newbie, of course she isn't going to give you time off yet. At least wait until your probationary period is over before you ask for a day off. Welcome to having a job. Maybe you can go to school and start a career...

Quoting cherry1221: Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 1:31 PM

In your case work. Unless you don't need the job. I need my job so in situations like that work comes first. Now if my kid were deathly ill or had some other kind of emergency he would come first. 

Ms.KitKat
by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

That's the problem with retail. and being the "low-man"

Your employer expects you to work the high volume days, weekends and evenings; giving the long time employees the breaks because those employees have already paid their dues so to speak.

If you need your job then you will need to work it around the kids schedules; if not, then quit. And the next job you get, try to negotiate that you can not do weekends- or at least every other weekend off before taking the job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:18 PM

girl!!!  im walking out that bitch... as long as your husband is taking care of things and is ok with you not working anyways...  i would be out.. plus if you put in notice or even let her know about your situation and still not be flexible with you..  then who knows what will happen in the future.  ive ran into alot of problems in that situation and it was not worth it.   

YuppyMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:35 PM
When I finally went to work I chose a career path where I was in control so I would never miss anything. Kids ate always first!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:29 AM
Kids come first. I was very clear with my employer about my availability and though they try to expand when I work, I stick with my schedule. They can decide if I am useful enough with the schedule I have, or they can let me go. I suggest you find a different job somewhere that can work within your schedule.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)