Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When your hubby finds it "annoying" that you discipline your kids.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

I can only say "please" and keep the pleasant "Donna Reed" shit up for so long with no reaction. If I need you to do a chore, you do it without question, simply out of respect for your mother! My little one (6, almost 7) gets by with TOO MUCH because she knows if I nag enough,  her daddy will come in and have her go sit down because he's "tired of hearing my voice". Thanks a lot for the support, PARTNER. I never get any backup, and no one in this family tries to discipline or instill any values other than me. I thought i was gonna be the fun one. Turns out no one else cares how these kids turn out but me. They all just let them do whatever they want, whenever they want. I'm exhausted. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2017 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovingladyo4
by Member on Dec. 6, 2017 at 10:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Not disciplining children is playing with fire and someday the child WILL get burned by lack of character building that happens in that small window of time called childhood. Is it possible your husband is that clueless on the ramifications of a child without boundaries and parameters of authority and structure in the home? The father is appointed head of the household, and yet many men in our culture scoff at the importance of it because it's too sacrificial and it's easier to take the path of least resistance when it comes to stepping in and taking charge over their children. Shame on him for being so slothful and irresponsible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband does that sometimes and it really pisses me off.  He did it last night about homework of all things.  He thinks I nag them but seriously, when a parent says do this or that, it needs to get done.  Period.  Too many men refuse to put in the time at home because it's hard and they think they should just get to sit and do nothing.

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband is a very active army professional so I am left with much of the disciplining and punishing.  He backs me up 100 percent.  There are a few times he has stepped in to punish and then I back him up 100 percent.

Glitch202
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

They have them for younger children too.  No more yelling and nagging. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM

I lost it on Saturday after asking my ODD to do stuff more than twice.  The problem was that for the previous 3 weeks she did everything she was asked and then some.  Dad was gone for work for those 3 weeks and he was home last Friday.  My kids have tested every page in our parenting book, from not doing what you are asked or told the first time, to eating things they should be and playing on their tablets when they haven't asked permission to do so.

We are losing our minds!!

Sassytwinmom
by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd tell her from now on if she doesn't do it then I won't do something for her AND if she gets her dad involved I won't do things for him. She wants snacks after school sorry but you don't get them, she wants to go to a friends house nope unless your dad can take you and pick you up, you want your favorite outfit sorry I can't wash it. I'd make sure her life was hell because if she can't help I'm not going to help and I'd do the same with him. I wouldn't do laundry, cook, set alarms or any of that. EVEN when I was a stay at home mom and took most of the responsibility my now ex helped out and we always have backed each other up. Then again we spank or kids if they don't listen and they don't get the option not to do something. They do it because we tell them to or they do it after being spanked and added chores their choice.

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM

I am there with my 10 year old now.  My 12 year old went through it and we survived and lost our minds a few times.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I lost it on Saturday after asking my ODD to do stuff more than twice.  The problem was that for the previous 3 weeks she did everything she was asked and then some.  Dad was gone for work for those 3 weeks and he was home last Friday.  My kids have tested every page in our parenting book, from not doing what you are asked or told the first time, to eating things they should be and playing on their tablets when they haven't asked permission to do so.

We are losing our minds!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I am lucky on this, my DH and I back each other up..sometimes there is a blow up or misunderstanding..like last night..but we talk through it. The kids know we are united. It is difficult when there are two different parenting styles and they conflict. I am sorry you are going through this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 1:15 PM
Girls are the worst to begin with. Lazy, entitled and `princess grooming' is a real problem with girls right now. Thankfully DH and I back each other up.
Daisendoh2008
by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I am the passive parent.  My spouse is the strict one.  I have a hard time when he disciplines, but I am so thankful that he does it.  I think our child would be different if he wasn't.  I would talk with your spouse, see if he's willing to hear you out.  I have learned that I cannot contradict what my husband does/says in front of our child because she will know how to drive us apart.  I read this article, it was pretty good.  My thoughts are with you and your family!  Keep it up, you are doing a GREAT job!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)