Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autistic son hitting in school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

My 10 year old is having issues hitting other kids in school.  He is developmentally delayed and high-functioning Autistic (mostly social issues/Aspergers and sensory).  He was just diagnosed this past summer, but has been going to ABA since then.  They work with him on how to communicate to make friends, but by and large he has only 1 and doesn't seem to get along with the other kids.  We have a 3 year old that he definitely does not get along with.  We have worked with him and talked to him until we are blue in the face but he is to the point where he is going to be expelled.  He always says the other kid hit him first, and I've raised concerns that he's being bullied, but the teachers are adament that he's not.  He's also not consistent in what he says people say to him or do to him, but I know pretty much every kid gets picked on so I don't have a problem believing it.  We have taken everything away from him, spanked him, the whole 9 yards.  We even threw his tablet away.  I really don't know what to do anymore.  Please help.  

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2017 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2017 at 5:37 PM

Highly functioning still leads me to believe he knows hitting is wrong.  It also sounds like he has issues with lying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:28 PM

You are right, he does it's wrong and he does lie to us quite often.  All of which he has been punished for numerous times.  He is not stopping to think before he acts.  We spent hours yesterday going over what he is supposed to do if someone is messing with him and role playing going to tell the teacher and everything.  He's just not stopping to think and acting on impulse.  

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Highly functioning still leads me to believe he knows hitting is wrong.  It also sounds like he has issues with lying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 14, 2017 at 1:51 AM
4 moms liked this
One day he will come across a kid like mine who will knock his ass out if he hit her for no reason. Then I guess he will learn. Kids like yours don't belong in regular classrooms being abusive to regular students. If I was a parent of your child's classmate I'd make sure your child was removed or I'd sue the school for allowing abuse in the classroom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 14, 2017 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
FFS the kid should not be with other normal kids. I'm so tired of kids like this. This weird cancer is spreading. Normal kids can't seem to get an education without needing to deal with this shit.
Shai4710
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow the compassion on here is astonishing. 

AmaliaD
by on Dec. 14, 2017 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I’m not at all trying to be mean but I would recommend researching alternative schools in your area. It’s just obviously not working- be it that he is responding to others or just acting out. I have seen kids who are over stimulated by school given creative 504 plans. Some include shortening the school day or time in general classroom. Sometimes just a wobble chair does wonders. What has the school done to accommodate his diagnosis?
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 3:09 AM

Please join our group: Autism: Support Across the Spectrum to help get you the answers that you need from the Moms that are going through and have gone through these same issues: http://www.cafemom.com/group/112775

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 3:10 AM

I feel sorry for your child to have a mother like you that just spews hate.

Quoting Anonymous 4: FFS the kid should not be with other normal kids. I'm so tired of kids like this. This weird cancer is spreading. Normal kids can't seem to get an education without needing to deal with this shit.

Nicolekelly2018
by on Dec. 15, 2017 at 3:23 AM

Wow, that's really troubling. My son had a classmate when he was in grade school who must of been autistic, but he had someone who sat with him during class so that he didn't bother the other students. I think they call it a "shadow"??  I'm surprised you haven't had any phone calls from other mothers, because my son would've definitely told me if another child was hitting kids. Idk maybe post this in one of the autism chat rooms. Sorry. 

anaj92
by on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:00 AM

I have a high functioning autistic child and he does not hit anyone.  He has been taught by me constantly telling him this, showing him social story videos, and reading books about not hitting.  You spanking him is teaching him to hit.  Autistic child learn by repetition.  You have to work on it for a few minutes every day.  There are tons of social story videos on the internet you can buy for autistic children as well as books.  Also, you can check books out at the library regarding not hitting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)