Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cab Driver: I'm charging you $15 for waisting my time!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
Today I went grocery shopping & the store is about 7 blocks up from my house. Usually I will walk but because of the cold weather I decided to take a cab. On the way there it was only $5. On the way back there was a different cab driver, I took about 10 minutes to load the cab's trunk with food. When I got in I noticed after a block the cab driver turned the meter off. I asked him why & he didn't answer. A few feet from my house he said "You'll owe me $15 when you get out." I told him that's incorrect because I only paid $5 to get to the store. He said "You waisted 10 minutes of my time putting the groceries in the cab. I have other customers to pick up. I have to charge you $15 for putting the groceries in the cab." Long story short I paid him $5, he got angry & as soon as I put my groceries on the ground he sped off! I've never heard of a cab driver charging you for putting groceries in the trunk.
Is this a new rule that a person has to pay more if he/she is holding up the time of another customer?!
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 14, 2017 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 14, 2017 at 6:43 PM
You pay for the time you have the cab.
littlesippycup
by iloveanons on Dec. 14, 2017 at 6:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Most cabs run the meter waiting for you to load or waiting for you while you run errands.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 14, 2017 at 6:45 PM

Most cabs charge my minute not mile. Welcome to the real world. Use Uber if you can way cheaper and they help you just make sure to tip them

K3412
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM
I think the $15 was probably arbitrary, but you did take his time that he could have been picking up other people. I wouldn’t expect to pay nothing for that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM

meter runs while you load. time is money

KitschyMeow
by New Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 6:49 PM
Any time I've used a cab, the meter started when they started driving.
amberdotsmom
by Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 7:13 PM
3 moms liked this

If your story is right I'm betting he didn't turn on the meter while you loaded the groceries and was mad at himself for not counting that time.  So he thought he could "estimate" the loading/unloading time and turn of the meter to justify it.  I wouldn't have fallen for that either.  I might have checked how much per minute for waiting or idling and given him a couple more bucks for the ride home but no way should anyone fall for the idea that you took $10 worth of time getting some bags in and out of the trunk.

bleumonster
by Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 7:45 PM
I totally agree and if he had gotten out and helped, it wouldn’t have taken 10 minutes. Cab drivers used to do that but it’s gone the way of the dinosaur lol.

Quoting amberdotsmom:

If your story is right I'm betting he didn't turn on the meter while you loaded the groceries and was mad at himself for not counting that time.  So he thought he could "estimate" the loading/unloading time and turn of the meter to justify it.  I wouldn't have fallen for that either.  I might have checked how much per minute for waiting or idling and given him a couple more bucks for the ride home but no way should anyone fall for the idea that you took $10 worth of time getting some bags in and out of the trunk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this
He should have run the meter while you were loading. He didn't, and that's his fault.
But he could have called the police and they wouldn't have made you pay that, he shouldn't have turned off the meter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this
He should have had the meter running while you loaded your purchases. I don't know why he didn't and $15 does seem just a random number, but you did owe him for all of his tkme, not just the actual trip.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)