Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas disappointment

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2017 at 11:30 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have 5 adult SS's and bio DS25 and DS13.  This year, we were able to get most of the kids here for christmas.  The one in Illinois and his family didn't make it up, but we expected that.  SS 26 who lives with us told hubby he was going to be around all weekend.  Well, he left in the middle of the night on Friday night for God knows where.  We always get together with all our boys on the 23rd but he didn't get back until Sunday night.  Every year, I wrap up a gift a ton of times, and every so often, throw an extra something into it to make it harder to open.  The kids still love it and always wonder "who's getting it this year?"  Well this year it was SS26.  I had done something new and did zip ties this year, then to top it off, the gift inside was a little pocket knife.  I was really excited to see everyone's reactions.  Obviously, since he didn't show up, that didn't happen.  Then, to top it off, when hubby and I got home from my family Christmas on Christmas Eve, he was home and hubby asked him to come into the living room so he could open his gifts.  He said he was "too tired."  So, I get up in the morning Christmas day and see he had opened all his gifts!  Didn't even wait for me to be there!  DH said he was half asleep and heard ripping paper but didn't stop him to wait for me.  I was soooooo disappointed!!  I spend alot of time trying to find the perfect gifts for all the kids and I truly LOVE watching them open them.  Plus I had even JUST had this coversation with DH the day before how much it meant to me to see them open their gifts.  I tried really hard to not let it get to me, but I was soooo hurt!  I know it's petty, but I was really upset and later started crying in our room and DH came up and saw and got all moody because I was upset.  I am trying to just get over it, but I'm having a hard time.  Am I out of line?  

by on Dec. 27, 2017 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 28, 2017 at 1:10 AM
Oy fucking vey. I cannot wait for the post Christmas bitching to end.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2017 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
They aren't kids. He's a grown ass man. It's time to stop the tradition.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM
You have a right to your feelings.
If he has never acted this way before, I would want to make sure he was ok. Feeling a bit hurt is normal, but feel more concerned.
If he says this is how he wants to do things, then you can adjust your gifts to him accordingly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 28, 2017 at 10:49 AM
3 moms liked this
Grown ass men do not still live with daddy.

Quoting Anonymous 2: They aren't kids. He's a grown ass man. It's time to stop the tradition.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 28, 2017 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Disappointed, yes. But not to the point that I'm crying in my room. Complete overreaction.
MrsSimpf
by on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

You're certainly entitled to your feelings being hurt over the insensitivity of DS26--and perhaps you feel hurt that DH didn't "stick up for you"? I think I would but I'd suggest just letting DS26 know you all missed him at Christmas and that you wish he'd waited until you were with him when he opened. I'd also be more worried about DS26 leaving for about 2 days at Christmas and skipping the family get-together altogether? Perhaps that is a bigger worry than who was there when he opened gifts or gave any? You've done your venting (and I can see why!). I'd suggest talking to DH about the worries of DS26. Sending prayers!

nanny1918
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 4:31 PM
I don't think I'd cry over it but your as was rude.
hockeyfans30
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2018 at 2:30 AM

Thanks for the helpful advice from some!  Figured out part of the problem was I was just overly emotional because of hormones.  I was hurt, but did over react also.  I get they are not children anymore, but they are still our kids and they enjoy the tradition as do I.  I won't stop doing it, but will try to make sure it is going to someone I am more confident will be there. SS26 has been having alot of issues off and on and that is another whole story I won't go into.  We are trying really hard to get him the help he needs, but only so much we can do as he is an adult and is refusing to do what he needs to do.  We won't give up though.  :-)   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 3, 2018 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous 1: Oy fucking vey. I cannot wait for the post Christmas bitching to end.

Stop reading for a week or two, then. 

hockeyfans30
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2018 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Especially in a room called "The Venting Booth!"  LOL  

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Quoting Anonymous 1: Oy fucking vey. I cannot wait for the post Christmas bitching to end.

Stop reading for a week or two, then. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)