Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support and taxes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
My daughters dad is 1,500 behind on child support. And and I've had several people tell me including the child support office that if he files taxes they will take what he's behind on out and it will go to my daughter. Is this true? Even if he's married and has 2 other kids? I really don't look to be getting anything from him because I'm sure he'd probably find away to get away with it.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2018 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2018 at 11:55 PM
I wouldn't know but here's a bump for you. I think this is true but hopefully some other moms can help you.
Notnice
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:27 AM
Yes it is true.

My X filed taxes and claimed his daughters. At the time he had custody, and C's intercepted it. Took it all. ( He was behind).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:15 AM

Very true. 

My brother got behind on his child support when he was off work due to some medicalissues and the IRS notified him they would be taking his return and giving the money to his ex.  Because she had filed the forms to request that.  SIL got smart and called to ask questions from her side of it.  She was told to file a form as an injured spouse, when she did that the IRS recalculated their return and she got her share of the refund.  I have no problem with the state stepping in and taking his portion of a tax refund. But the current spouse is not responsible for paying his CS so I'm glad to know there is a way to protect her portion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:35 AM

Talk to the child support office to confirm if it true. 

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:46 AM

The government can certainly seize tax refunds but there is a process.  They just can't take it.  Likely anyway they would not for only $1,500.  But remember, each state/province could be different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:49 AM

I could have written this to the tune of -4000. I hope they give us dads taxes.

offrdngal
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:57 AM
It's true, but it can be a pain in the ass to get them to actually do it. Stay relentless! Good luck!
libbybell
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 9:49 AM
Yep, I get my exes tax return every year.
Prissy_Gurl
by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 9:52 AM
Yes, my friend gets her ex's tax return. And he has 3 other kids.
sal1976
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 10:12 AM
Yes I get my DD’s fathers taxes well his wife’s actually cuz he works for cash. And this is the last year I got it cuz she quit working to raise baby # 10. However in my state it goes on a hold for 6 months cuz they can contest it. But even if they do it goes to you anyway cuz you’re owed that money
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)