Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you have in disposable income each month?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

Just curious what the normal or average is in different parts of the world?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2018 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2018 at 3:13 PM
I’m not even sure what that is because that doesn’t exist in my world. I was just griping with my husband because his paycheck hadn’t hit yet. We had some major home repair issues that occurred last year including appliances that needed to be replaced so that ate up any disposable income we did have. Adding to the fact that I have an autistic child that regularly eats up hundreds of dollars a week in occupational therapy costs and the fact that we fully gutted the house when we bought it, we are pretty much just playing catch-up. Sooooooooo as I stated, what’s disposable income???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh man, that's a lot to deal with...sorry.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I’m not even sure what that is because that doesn’t exist in my world. I was just griping with my husband because his paycheck hadn’t hit yet. We had some major home repair issues that occurred last year including appliances that needed to be replaced so that ate up any disposable income we did have. Adding to the fact that I have an autistic child that regularly eats up hundreds of dollars a week in occupational therapy costs and the fact that we fully gutted the house when we bought it, we are pretty much just playing catch-up. Sooooooooo as I stated, what’s disposable income???

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:49 PM
East Coast, US. I have about $2300 a month disposable. I live very below my means because I like to shop and hate to keep a budget. I also do not have a savings account. I just spend what I make like it grows on trees.
MonarchMom22
by on Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:51 PM

That's a confusing answer - if  you have $2300 in disposable income but you spend it all then you are living at your income level. Not below your means.  If you lived below your means you would be accumulating money every month.

Quoting Anonymous 3: East Coast, US. I have about $2300 a month disposable. I live very below my means because I like to shop and hate to keep a budget. I also do not have a savings account. I just spend what I make like it grows on trees.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2018 at 6:36 PM
I consider it below my means because my bills and living expenses aren’t anywhere near my take home pay.
But looking at it from your perspective, I can see it your way as well.

Quoting MonarchMom22:

That's a confusing answer - if  you have $2300 in disposable income but you spend it all then you are living at your income level. Not below your means.  If you lived below your means you would be accumulating money every month.

Quoting Anonymous 3: East Coast, US. I have about $2300 a month disposable. I live very below my means because I like to shop and hate to keep a budget. I also do not have a savings account. I just spend what I make like it grows on trees.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 2, 2018 at 6:40 PM
We have about $6700 in income each month, and bills/budget are about $4500.

So we have about $2200 we could spend but we don't. Instead it just sits in our account. We do a lot of fun things with our kids and all that but it's built into our budget. Once the money is gone from that category it's gone until the next month.

Seattle area
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 3, 2018 at 11:12 AM
Disposable income? -$400/mo. The only way we make ends meet is rotating who gets paid among the medical bills, going to the food back once a month, and if I'm able to work some overtime. We're seniors, DH can't work due to health issues, and now I'm dealing with some of my own.

We worked hard for 40 yrs but between taking care of elderly parents and our medical stuff, we ended up with virtually nothing. Sometimes life sucks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 3, 2018 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

50% of our income is technically disposable. We put the majority of it into savings and investments.

2 middle aged adults, both earning good salaries, no minor children, home paid off, no credit card debt, and no vehicle debt.  Living on the West Coast.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 3, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Quoting Anonymous 6:

50% of our income is technically disposable. We put the majority of it into savings and investments.

2 middle aged adults, both earning good salaries, no minor children, home paid off, no credit card debt, and no vehicle debt.  Living on the West Coast.

You all are doing really well considering you live in the west coast.  good

We're living in the west coast as well and can't compliant. 

Is the cost of living high in your neck of the woods?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 3, 2018 at 12:34 PM
Roughly 3,000 after bills are paid. I don't consider is disposable because the bulk of that then goes into savings each month. I'm in upstate NY.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)