Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you have in disposable income each month?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Just curious what the normal or average is in different parts of the world?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2018 at 2:24 PM
Replies (41-50):
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 12:23 AM
Quite a bit. Based on hubby's salary plus my day job....and after savings and investments, about $3000 for whatever

But my side business is completely disposable income. Some months that can be 5k
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 12, 2018 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow. Yeah!

We should start a club :)

Quoting pattya925:

I'm right in Coraopolis! Small world :)

Quoting Anonymous 14:

I actually grew up there and most of my family is in Beaver/Butler Counties :)

Quoting Barb10:

Quoting Anonymous 14:

Between $1500-2000. Modest house, two cars in nice neighborhood of a low col city (Pittsburgh).

We aren't far from Pittsburgh,down in Beaver County!

by Anonymous 27 on Feb. 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM
Most people have to have cars.

Owning a home is often cheaper than renting, plus it builds wealth.

Quoting Anonymous 6:

Quoting Anonymous 15:

wow how do people have so much left over when the majority of americans are pay check to pay check mmmm.....

Nothing unusual about it really.  Most older couples I know in my age range (50's & 60's) do not live paycheck to paycheck. Some of us sacrificed for years to not be living that way at our age. We didn't take vacations when we were young and raising our son. We didn't own cars. We didn't buy a house. We didn't create credit card debt.There are many things we chose not to do in order to be living better now that we are older.  

How much home does the average American choose to live in?  We have never lived in more than 1000sq ft, the place we lived in raising our son was only 850. Which affects not just output in mortgage/rentbut also in: utilities, maintenance, upkeep, furniture, and all the stuff that it takes to fill and keep a large home.

How many cars does the average American have?  We have 0.

How many cars does the average American have in 30 years? We had 1.

How many children does the average American have? We had 1.

How much credit card debt does the average American have? We have 0.

Want to wonder why some people aren't living paycheck to paycheck and are able to save compared to the "majority of Americans". Take a look at what the majority of Americans put out in their income to maintain their lifestyle of choice.

by Anonymous 27 on Feb. 12, 2018 at 11:59 AM
After everything in the budget, about $1500. Savings is as much of a need as the utility bill.
by Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Somewhere between $300-$400 depending on the monthly bills.  I know it's not much, but I'm ok with it because I can pay all my bills and still have a little something leftover. 

by Anonymous 28 on Feb. 12, 2018 at 1:59 PM
by Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM
I live in Colorado. I have a couple thousand if I want to. We live frugal though. Our cars are paid off so we don't have those expenses. We have liability insurance. That's dirt cheap and we live in a cabin in the woods, nothing fancy but we love it. Our kids are grown and gone. We spend as we please to a point. I actually have a second prn job that is attached to my savings account. It just deposits into that. We really have what we need and want for the most part. Life is good here.
by Anonymous 29 on Feb. 12, 2018 at 3:13 PM
Not much, maybe $200. We are tight right now due to my recent medical issues.
by Anonymous 30 on Feb. 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM

I have very little to none.  My household runs on 1 salary.   I'm not quite pay check to pay check but between mortgage, health insurance, car and home insurance, groceries, heating bill it's close enough. I like to keep a "security cushion of $1000" at any given time.  Because if I do have disposable income some goof always happens like something in the house breaks or one of our animals needs vet care.  Thankfully my credit cards are clear, my car is paid off.

by Anonymous 31 on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:40 PM

Roughly $3k each month after all bills, groceries, gas, etc. 

But not including medical, emergencies, or our effing Money Pit house that ALWAYS needs something. 

But my husband gets a large annual bonus (usually $8-10K, but this  year it's gonna be like $15k after taxes) and we get a huge tax refund ($10k this year) and that bails us out on stuff like having to get our basement dewatered ($6k) new washer and dryer ($4k) new deck ($3K) new sink, toilet, light fixture for half bath ($1k), need all new outlets downstairs (SERIOUSLY HOUSE, WHY ARE YOUR OUTLETS LOOSE? $1K), a few plumbing leaks ($1K) and now we need new gutters which will start us off in the hole this year ($3k). 

We're gonna be hard pressed to take a vacation this year unless we go into debt on it. Sucks. I hate this house and want to sell, but my husband loves it here. Ugh. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)