Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scariest weekend of my life!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 8:11 AM
  • 10 Replies

My three month old son ended up in the hospital over the weekend, and had to have surgery last Sunday. I've never been so scared in my entire life. 

A little back story: When he was around 8 weeks old, I took him to his doctor and told him that he was throwing up a lot. Not just spit up, but vomit. It would come out of this poor kid's mouth like a fountain. The doctor told me it was normal for a baby to do this. I knew it wasn't, and brought up that I thought it was re-flux. Still the doctor did nothing about it. I live in a small town, and the next closest doctor wasn't accepting new patients at the time. I took my son back to this doctor every month for weight checks because he was gaining weight slowly. On January 19th, my husband brought up to the doctor that maybe our son was lactose intolerant. The doctor agreed and said he could be. He had lost 3oz between December and January. So we switched him to soy formula, because my supply was too low to keep him fed. We took him back to the doctor on Feb. 2 for a weight check. In that two week time frame, my baby lost 15oz! The doctor told us he didn't think it was anything serious and that we would figure something out. He then decided to consult with another doctor to see what they thought should be done. That doctor told him my son needed to be admitted to the hospital ASAP. My heart sank. 

We got to the first hospital, and they did blood work. His electrolytes were so off they didn't know where to start. He was severely dehydrated to the point that if we hadn't taken him in that day, he may not have survived another week. They did an ultrasound and finally found out the problem. He had pyloric stenosis. That hospital didn't have the staff to do the surgery, so they had him moved to Children's Hospital. They did surgery to correct the problem as soon as they got him re-hydrated and his electrolytes came back up. 

I feel like I failed my son. He went through so much testing, blood work, needles, and torture because I kept listening to that doctor and trying everything he told me to do. He now has a new doctor, that he will be seeing soon. His old doctor didn't even know the signs of dehydration in a baby. He said he was healthy, just couldn't keep weight on, and I believed him. I feel stupid. I will always hate myself that my baby had to suffer so much because I didn't seek other answers sooner. I thank God that my baby is okay, and he's home now, but the fear of what that doctor could do to another baby keeps me up at night. I'm going to report him, because clearly he shouldn't work with children. This went on for over a month, and he wasn't going to have my son admitted to the hospital until another doctor told him to. I don't want any other babies to suffer like mine did. 

im sorry

by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karene999
by Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 10:05 AM

You need to give yourself a break. You took him to the doctors, you asked, hell you begged for help.

The important things here are the following:

1. Your son is okay, and will never remember any of this

2. You learned that your mothers intuition is right, and next time there is any type of issue you will trust it.

3. You have a qualified doctor now, and god willing this will be the last major problem you have to deal with.

Trust me all parents have the ah-ha moment, where if I had done this differently ___________.

Take a deep breath and instead be proud of yourself for insisting that something had to be wrong and making the doctor do something in the first place.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 10:07 AM

Hugs. You cant kick yourself in the butt for not knowing. I hope baby is better now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 10:14 AM

I'm so sorry that the Dr wasn't listening to you.  All you can do from here is to follow your gut.  The best thing you could have done earlier is to take your child to the ER.  Hopefully a Dr would have ordered tests sooner that would have discovered the pyloric stenosis.

I have a child who vomitted like your son at least twice a day for the first 18 months of her life.  The difference for us was that we had a Dr who listened to us.  It took us until our DD was 5 to discover that she has EoE and food allergies had been the culprit all these years.  Her dad, myself and our ped all felt like we hadn't done enough earlier in her life.  The ped and I are close (I used to work for her), so we discussed this at length on a few different occasions while we had lunch.  We did what all thought was best for my DD. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 6:12 PM

I'm glad your baby is ok.  :)

Don't beat yourself up.  Can't blame yourself for TRUSTING the doctor.  Glad you have a better one now, though!

Sorry you and your baby had to go through this.

HUG

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 6:15 PM
Im sorry you went through that at least hes on his way to healing now.
Punky_1981
by Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 6:46 AM

Thanks everyone. Yes, he is 100% better than he was, and he's eating a lot and finally keeping it down. He goes in for a weight check this morning. I just feel terrible that he had to suffer so much. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 14, 2018 at 8:10 AM
It’s the doctors fault that it wasnt caught earlier. My baby who is 3 months now had that same issue at 2 weeks old. As soon as I brought up the vomiting they immediately ran tests and did ultrasounds to see if he also had the pyloric stenosis. Ultrasound was clean so then they told me about him possibly being lactose intolerant. But they watched him closely after that Incase it was getting worse. He is fine now thankfully. But you did not fail your son, the doctors did. That’s is the first thing they should have done was look for the stomach issue and not assume.

Quoting Punky_1981:

My three month old son ended up in the hospital over the weekend, and had to have surgery last Sunday. I've never been so scared in my entire life. 

A little back story: When he was around 8 weeks old, I took him to his doctor and told him that he was throwing up a lot. Not just spit up, but vomit. It would come out of this poor kid's mouth like a fountain. The doctor told me it was normal for a baby to do this. I knew it wasn't, and brought up that I thought it was re-flux. Still the doctor did nothing about it. I live in a small town, and the next closest doctor wasn't accepting new patients at the time. I took my son back to this doctor every month for weight checks because he was gaining weight slowly. On January 19th, my husband brought up to the doctor that maybe our son was lactose intolerant. The doctor agreed and said he could be. He had lost 3oz between December and January. So we switched him to soy formula, because my supply was too low to keep him fed. We took him back to the doctor on Feb. 2 for a weight check. In that two week time frame, my baby lost 15oz! The doctor told us he didn't think it was anything serious and that we would figure something out. He then decided to consult with another doctor to see what they thought should be done. That doctor told him my son needed to be admitted to the hospital ASAP. My heart sank. 

We got to the first hospital, and they did blood work. His electrolytes were so off they didn't know where to start. He was severely dehydrated to the point that if we hadn't taken him in that day, he may not have survived another week. They did an ultrasound and finally found out the problem. He had pyloric stenosis. That hospital didn't have the staff to do the surgery, so they had him moved to Children's Hospital. They did surgery to correct the problem as soon as they got him re-hydrated and his electrolytes came back up. 

I feel like I failed my son. He went through so much testing, blood work, needles, and torture because I kept listening to that doctor and trying everything he told me to do. He now has a new doctor, that he will be seeing soon. His old doctor didn't even know the signs of dehydration in a baby. He said he was healthy, just couldn't keep weight on, and I believed him. I feel stupid. I will always hate myself that my baby had to suffer so much because I didn't seek other answers sooner. I thank God that my baby is okay, and he's home now, but the fear of what that doctor could do to another baby keeps me up at night. I'm going to report him, because clearly he shouldn't work with children. This went on for over a month, and he wasn't going to have my son admitted to the hospital until another doctor told him to. I don't want any other babies to suffer like mine did. 

im sorry

Punky_1981
by Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 8:16 AM

This doctor didn't do any of that. He wasn't even going to have my son admitted to the hospital until another doctor told him he needed to. That's why I'm reporting him, because he shouldn't be allowed to work with children at all. :( 

Thank you. My son is fine now too, but so scary. 

Quoting Anonymous 5: It’s the doctors fault that it wasnt caught earlier. My baby who is 3 months now had that same issue at 2 weeks old. As soon as I brought up the vomiting they immediately ran tests and did ultrasounds to see if he also had the pyloric stenosis. Ultrasound was clean so then they told me about him possibly being lactose intolerant. But they watched him closely after that Incase it was getting worse. He is fine now thankfully. But you did not fail your son, the doctors did. That’s is the first thing they should have done was look for the stomach issue and not assume.
Quoting Punky_1981:

im sorry

Melissa_4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:22 AM

hugs

I can't imagine how scary and frustrating that all must have been.  

goodygumdrops
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2018 at 4:58 PM

I can completely relate to you.  Both of my older boys had pyloric stenosis and had surgery at 6 weeks.  With our first son, the pediatrician absolutely refused to accept that he had it even though I knew without a doubt that's what it was.  (My brother had it also)  My little guy didn't get the surgery until we took him to another doctor who ended up admitting him into the hospital on his first visit.  Thankfully we had the same (2nd) doctor with our next son and didn't have to go through all that bs again.  

Just know, it is not your fault!  But I will tell you to be prepared for worry over the next few months and not to let it get to you.  They have a really good success rate with this surgery.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)