Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids these days!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 1:46 PM
  • 20 Replies
Do people not teach their kids how to handle money anymore? I don't mean spending it. I remember I was always taught to hand your money in a neat stack to a cashier after making sure it was the right amount so they could count it easily. I cannot tell you how many kids will just hand me a giant wad of money without even counting it first.

There have been times when I refuse to take it until they unwad it and actually count it out. Once a girl realized she was going to hand over $15 for a $4 purchase! I tried to tell her as nicely as I could that it is a very bad idea not to pay attention to these things because not everyone is as nice as me and will take her money without a second thought. Ugh!

So, do you teach your kids how to hand a cashier money?
by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Yes I did. I see a lot of adults hand over crunched up bills or still folded ones.

EmilyH87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:27 PM
Adults are definitely guilty as well, but I have had so many kids do it today that's it's driving me nuts!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Yes I did. I see a lot of adults hand over crunched up bills or still folded ones.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I am in the minority I guess. I just received showed DS how to count bills and how to properly put them in your pocket and wallet. How to count his money and try to always have oerfect change if he can help it. How to hand over money to the cashiers and how to take it back without shoving it all in his pocket.

I hate wadded up money.
happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

That's probably another skill set that a lot of people think the schools should teach.... lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I do, but I was taught with old school methods that aren't used these days.  We faced all of our bills in the same direction and placed them in our walletts from smallest bill to the largest bill.

My mom actually gets pissed when cashiers hand her back change incorrectly, ie putting the change on top of the bills instead of the change in the hand first and then the bills on top.  She will pull her hand back every time a cahsier does this. My problem is that my mom won't understand that cashiers aren't taught the same money handling practices that she and I were.

EmilyH87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM
Then I applaud you! It seems too many people don't find these kind of common courtesy worth teaching anymore.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I am in the minority I guess. I just received showed DS how to count bills and how to properly put them in your pocket and wallet. How to count his money and try to always have oerfect change if he can help it. How to hand over money to the cashiers and how to take it back without shoving it all in his pocket.

I hate wadded up money.
EmilyH87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I know my DH has tried! Lol Because his kids know that if they come into where I work and I catch them acting up or being rude he's going to hear about it. He gave them a lecture one time about how to keep your money because a kid gave me money straight from him sock (which is just gross).

Quoting happinessforyou:

That's probably another skill set that a lot of people think the schools should teach.... lol

EmilyH87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 3:33 PM
That's how I keep my money too, and hand it back. People get mad when I take longer to ring out because I'm shifting their money correctly (but it all needs to face the same way in our register too). Though I am admittedly guilty of handing back bills first and then coins.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I do, but I was taught with old school methods that aren't used these days.  We faced all of our bills in the same direction and placed them in our walletts from smallest bill to the largest bill.

My mom actually gets pissed when cashiers hand her back change incorrectly, ie putting the change on top of the bills instead of the change in the hand first and then the bills on top.  She will pull her hand back every time a cahsier does this. My problem is that my mom won't understand that cashiers aren't taught the same money handling practices that she and I were.

MysticLove
by Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That would bug the heck out of me. My kids do know how to hand over money to the cashier. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 4:52 PM

If you stop and think about it, handing back the bills and then putting the change on top actually increases the risk of the customer dropping their change on the floor.  My YDD was picking up the change that fell out of my hand at the grocery store the other day bc it was put on top of the bills.

Quoting EmilyH87: That's how I keep my money too, and hand it back. People get mad when I take longer to ring out because I'm shifting their money correctly (but it all needs to face the same way in our register too). Though I am admittedly guilty of handing back bills first and then coins.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)