Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do people not teach their kids how to handle money anymore? I don't mean spending it. I remember I was always taught to hand your money in a neat stack to a cashier after making sure it was the right amount so they could count it easily. I cannot tell you how many kids will just hand me a giant wad of money without even counting it first.

There have been times when I refuse to take it until they unwad it and actually count it out. Once a girl realized she was going to hand over $15 for a $4 purchase! I tried to tell her as nicely as I could that it is a very bad idea not to pay attention to these things because not everyone is as nice as me and will take her money without a second thought. Ugh!

So, do you teach your kids how to hand a cashier money?
by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 1:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
EmilyH87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 5:01 PM
True. It's not something I always do, but a staggering amount of people around here don't want their coin change back so I think maybe that started the habit of giving bills back first? I try to be mindful of it, but I do forget.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

If you stop and think about it, handing back the bills and then putting the change on top actually increases the risk of the customer dropping their change on the floor.  My YDD was picking up the change that fell out of my hand at the grocery store the other day bc it was put on top of the bills.

Quoting EmilyH87: That's how I keep my money too, and hand it back. People get mad when I take longer to ring out because I'm shifting their money correctly (but it all needs to face the same way in our register too). Though I am admittedly guilty of handing back bills first and then coins.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I do, but I was taught with old school methods that aren't used these days.  We faced all of our bills in the same direction and placed them in our walletts from smallest bill to the largest bill.

My mom actually gets pissed when cashiers hand her back change incorrectly, ie putting the change on top of the bills instead of the change in the hand first and then the bills on top.  She will pull her hand back every time a cahsier does this. My problem is that my mom won't understand that cashiers aren't taught the same money handling practices that she and I were.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2018 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I learned how to handle money in Girl Scouts. My mom (she was the troop leader) made sure we did everything at the booth sales so we handled the money exchanges and she would only help if we had questions. It was a good learning experience.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 12:59 PM
Thank goodness mine is too young to handle that but im anal about my money and how it looks. I cant put it away in my wallet unless its in order of amount and all facing the same way. I have to hand it to the cashier the same way. They appreciate it when i tell them when i gotta fix it first.
amberdotsmom
by Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Funny I never thought of it like that - I always liked it the opposite with bills than change on top because I immediately tip the change into the zippered change section then put the bills away.  Maybe I find that easier because I'm a klutz?  If I had to maneuver the bills I know I'd drop the change that's underneath.

Other than that though I don't understand how a person can just hand over wadded up bills and not even know what they're giving the person.  I like to be very organized about it, and my wallet has two bill sections, $10's and less go on one side in order from largest bill to smallest, $20's go on the other side (I never have $50's but if I did they'd go behind the $20's).

I've also noticed I can confuse younger cashiers if I give an odd amount to get an even amount back.  Like if the bill is $14.77 and I give them $20.02.  I do it to get $5.25 back instead of extra change.  Some look confused but take it, some try to give it back and I tell them trust me just ring it up and you'll see and once my Mother had a cashier give it all back and tell her "I can't do it this way".  I've also confused cashiers by calculating the tax in advance and handing them exact change as soon as they give me the total - it's like they can't comprehend that a person could know what the bill would be before the register figures it for them.  (I can't do that anymore though because NJ sales tax is now 6.625% and I'm not up to doing those extra decimals in my head plus the register rounds, I can get an idea but not to the penny)

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I do, but I was taught with old school methods that aren't used these days.  We faced all of our bills in the same direction and placed them in our walletts from smallest bill to the largest bill.

My mom actually gets pissed when cashiers hand her back change incorrectly, ie putting the change on top of the bills instead of the change in the hand first and then the bills on top.  She will pull her hand back every time a cahsier does this. My problem is that my mom won't understand that cashiers aren't taught the same money handling practices that she and I were.

Happy Mom of Amber('98), Daniel('96), Meghan & Claire-Ann ('93)
EmilyH87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 2:32 PM
I am the same way.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Thank goodness mine is too young to handle that but im anal about my money and how it looks. I cant put it away in my wallet unless its in order of amount and all facing the same way. I have to hand it to the cashier the same way. They appreciate it when i tell them when i gotta fix it first.
EmilyH87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 2:38 PM
I wish more people understood tax! I am always telling them, "It's this price BEFORE TAX." Now some things I have memorized the after tax price, but I will admit that my brain doesn't process numbers well. Now if they ask, I will whip out the calculator and tell them if I have to check. But I will tell too many people their total is $3.33 And then they are so offended because the scale says $3.

Like I said, my brain and numbers don't mix. I usually let the register handle calculating the change, so when someone gives me what I might think is an odd amount (like you mentioned) I assume they know what they want back better than I do lol

Quoting amberdotsmom:

Funny I never thought of it like that - I always liked it the opposite with bills than change on top because I immediately tip the change into the zippered change section then put the bills away.  Maybe I find that easier because I'm a klutz?  If I had to maneuver the bills I know I'd drop the change that's underneath.

Other than that though I don't understand how a person can just hand over wadded up bills and not even know what they're giving the person.  I like to be very organized about it, and my wallet has two bill sections, $10's and less go on one side in order from largest bill to smallest, $20's go on the other side (I never have $50's but if I did they'd go behind the $20's).

I've also noticed I can confuse younger cashiers if I give an odd amount to get an even amount back.  Like if the bill is $14.77 and I give them $20.02.  I do it to get $5.25 back instead of extra change.  Some look confused but take it, some try to give it back and I tell them trust me just ring it up and you'll see and once my Mother had a cashier give it all back and tell her "I can't do it this way".  I've also confused cashiers by calculating the tax in advance and handing them exact change as soon as they give me the total - it's like they can't comprehend that a person could know what the bill would be before the register figures it for them.  (I can't do that anymore though because NJ sales tax is now 6.625% and I'm not up to doing those extra decimals in my head plus the register rounds, I can get an idea but not to the penny)

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 2:51 PM
I had a boss who was anal about how we put the money in the registers and it stuck with me.

Quoting EmilyH87: I am the same way.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Thank goodness mine is too young to handle that but im anal about my money and how it looks. I cant put it away in my wallet unless its in order of amount and all facing the same way. I have to hand it to the cashier the same way. They appreciate it when i tell them when i gotta fix it first.
yeehawhoney123
by Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:40 PM
Yes, I do. My opinion is that handing a crumpled up pile of money to a cashier is rude. As if to say "here, you handle this mess".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:53 PM

OMG....I wouldn't hand someone wadded up bills and I always know how much I'm handing but some of the "proper" handling practices just seem antiquated and definitely up to personal opinion. Get the stick out of your butt, count your change and move on!!

EmilyH87
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 4:51 PM
Wait, are you telling ME to get the stick out of my butt? O___o I'm just wishing people would teach their kids not to hand a wad of money to a cashier. It's rude to them and rude to those behind the customer in line who have to wait longer for the money to be sorted out.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

OMG....I wouldn't hand someone wadded up bills and I always know how much I'm handing but some of the "proper" handling practices just seem antiquated and definitely up to personal opinion. Get the stick out of your butt, count your change and move on!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)