Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE If I can’t afford to go to the doctor, what makes you think I can afford a trip to the ER!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
2 moms liked this
I’m a server. Yes I know I chose this job. I called into work today with a low-grade fever and upset stomach. I wasn’t feeling well yesterday either and my store manager knew that but I pushed through without complaint and did my job. Upon waking up this morning I felt like I just couldn’t do it today and who wants a sick person serving them anyways?

When I called and spoke to my store manager she told me I need a docctor’s note next time I came in. I told her I can’t afford to go see a doctor. She told me to go to the emergency room. Where is the logic in that? If I can’t afford a normal doctor’s visit, why would you think the ER would be the next best option? Not to mention it’s a waste of time. I’m not in pain or anything. My tummy hurts and I have the shits. It’s not that serious. Just give me the day off and I’ll be back next week. They have 6 other servers on so it’s not like they really need me.

I’m just annoyed. She tried using the “it’s a corporate rule on the weekends” excuse but has only ever asked one other server for a doctor’s note and admitted to me it’s because she doesn’t like her and hoped she wouldn’t bring one so she can fire her. She hired all of her friends and family to work there and none of them need notes when they call out for the 70th damn time. *eyeroll*

This stupid place is so full of drama at this point, I don’t care if I get fired for not bringing one in. Have fun finding another lead that isn’t a complete unreliable idiot. I know I won’t have an issue finding another job.

UPDATE:
I came in at 5:30 am to open this morning and went to check to schedule to see who came in after me and at what time, only to find out that not only has my boss taken me off Sundays (the day I called in sick) but has also given away some of my shifts to where I only have 2-3 days a week. Guess who’s walking the fuck out as soon as the next server comes in? I could understand if me calling out was a constant thing but it isn’t and I don’t like playing games or pettiness when it comes to my work. I have a good amount of money saved up so I should be okay until I find another job. The hunt is on tomorrow.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2018 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2018 at 11:31 AM
Bump
Momtoone07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2018 at 11:33 AM
As an employer, I don't want sick people on my jobsite. Period. Years ago, when I was a server, I managed to get poison ivy on my face. My alcoholic boss insisted that I worked. The look of horror in people's faces was priceless. I ended up quitting that job. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2018 at 11:37 AM
This is TMI and I apologize, but if I’m shitting every half hour (not even an exaggeration), running a fever and sick to my stomach, I’m not coming to work where I handle people’s food. That’s just not okay. The restaurant business is so shady. Every place but one I’ve worked at has forced sick workers to come in and told us if a customer asks about why we look like shit to tell them we are “just getting over a cold”. That’s BS.

Quoting Momtoone07: As an employer, I don't want sick people on my jobsite. Period. Years ago, when I was a server, I managed to get poison ivy on my face. My alcoholic boss insisted that I worked. The look of horror in people's faces was priceless. I ended up quitting that job. Lol
Momtoone07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2018 at 11:39 AM
4 moms liked this
As a customer, I would be pissed if I found out my server was sick. That is not okay.

Quoting Anonymous 1: This is TMI and I apologize, but if I’m shitting every half hour (not even an exaggeration), running a fever and sick to my stomach, I’m not coming to work where I handle people’s food. That’s just not okay. The restaurant business is so shady. Every place but one I’ve worked at has forced sick workers to come in and told us if a customer asks about why we look like shit to tell them we are “just getting over a cold”. That’s BS.

Quoting Momtoone07: As an employer, I don't want sick people on my jobsite. Period. Years ago, when I was a server, I managed to get poison ivy on my face. My alcoholic boss insisted that I worked. The look of horror in people's faces was priceless. I ended up quitting that job. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2018 at 12:03 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 15, 2018 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad Canada banned Employers from being allowed to ask for Dr notes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2018 at 12:05 PM
If only I had been born a bit farther north.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Glad Canada banned Employers from being allowed to ask for Dr notes.
K3412
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM
The “go to the ER” mentality stems from people on public assistance or people who go and never pay their bill. It’s a surpolargw number of people.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 15, 2018 at 12:10 PM
Yeah I don’t get any form of assistance and I’m not too keen on going to the ER and racking up an insane bill for something so minor. I’m already in debt and just this year have been in a position to start paying on it. I don’t want to add anymore.

Quoting K3412: The “go to the ER” mentality stems from people on public assistance or people who go and never pay their bill. It’s a surpolargw number of people.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 15, 2018 at 1:14 PM

There always be someone taking your job without any problem.  Guess your won't be using them as references in your next job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)