Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

chapstick in the dryer?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 283 Total Views

Here's the solution!  I'll save you from reading the whole cute story about the 5 stages of grief the blogger whent through when she realized she had an entire load coming out of the dryer with melted, greasy chapstick spots all over her clothes... ;)

So here's what I did. I laid out the shirt on my kitchen counter (you will want to be near a sink or even outside) and sprinkled a small pile of baking soda on each spot.

Using a toothbrush (or a larger cleaning brush for bigger spots), I rubbed in the baking soda to each spot. The baking soda absorbs the grease from the chapstick. As it absorbs the grease, it will start to ball-up. 

Once most of the baking soda has combined together into small balls, sweep the baking soda off of the garment into the sink.

For a second time, pour another small pile of baking soda onto each spot...

...and repeat the process of rubbing in the soda and dusting off the shirt. You want to repeat this process until the baking soda no longer balls-up. This means that the soda has absorbed all of the grease from the garment.

Next, use your normal laundry stain remover to treat the spots.

Allow the stain remover to soak for about 15 minutes and then run the garment through the laundry again.

After treating the entire load of marred laundry, the kitchen was a bit of a war zone.

After washing and drying the clothes, they came out looking pretty good!

While the spots are still there, they faded SIGNIFICANTLY. They are really only noticeable in certain lights. I am sure that if I did another round of treatment, they would be gone, but I just didn't have it in me. I'll see how I feel wearing them and then go from there.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
myownparadise
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM
That is a pretty good tip!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momtoasurvivor
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM
This is very cool...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frstldyhmsch
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I'm gonna have to try this one because Josiah is famous for leaving him chapstick in his pockets lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)