Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Training a puppy? Advice?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 117 Total Views

So, we just got an English Bulldog puppy two weeks ago (he is now 13 weeks old)...and he is having accidents left and right, even though we "think" we are watching him (well I guess not, huh?) We take him out after meals, after play time, after naps, and when he starts sniffing. Does anyone have any advice--could we do something different?

BTW-we are not using puppy pads (we don't want him to get used to going in the house) and he is not being crate trained.

Thank you!!

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MonicaP76
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd suggest crate training him. All dogs need a "safe place" a crate is like a den, and serves as a babysitter when you aren't watching him.

Where he has peed, clean with vinegar.

Kat0038
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Crate training is your best bet. Talk to your vet too, they can give advice and point you toward a good trainer

Quoting MonicaP76:

I'd suggest crate training him. All dogs need a "safe place" a crate is like a den, and serves as a babysitter when you aren't watching him.

Where he has peed, clean with vinegar.

avasmommee
by Shelly on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Ok, thank you both, sounds like crate training is the best way to go then...

AllofFive19
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Puppy pads don't necessarily train them to go in the house. You put the pad with the poop and pee outside and show them that is where they are supposed to go.

frstldyhmsch
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

OMGosh I Love HIM!!!!! Congrats on your new baby :)

Take him out ever 2 hours and don't encourage play at all. Choose one term to continue to repeat to him, like "hurry-up" or "Go-ahead" and when he finally does go, then repeat your saying with added "good-boy" and a few pats on the head. Anytime you catch him sniffing in the house(in between the every 2 hours stretch), just give him a stern "NO" and take him out right away. It will take some time, but he'll get used to it. 

Nicoles2LilRams
by Nicole- Queen on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Awww, look at that lumpy little ball of cute!!

Hope the advice you found was helpful, I haven't had a dog since I was a little girl and I have NO IDEA how to train them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)