Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Curse of the Early Bird

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi there! My name is Sarah Lena, and I've been writing at The Anvil Tree for almost ten years now. (Like, since we called them weblogs.)

Because I'm a mom, stepmom, and wife, I know a thing or two about being busy - just like YOU! I also fill my time with a (more than) full-time job, as well as a part-time college course-load, and because I'm clearly sadistic, I do freelance work as a writer and voice-over talent. I kindly describe myself as a Jill of all trades, master of none. And some days, it's all I can do to stay afloat.

One of the few blessings on my side is that I'm an early bird. This is not by choice, mind you - if given the opportunity, I'd like to think I can sleep in with the best of them, lounging around in faded sweats and yoga pants until the afternoon hours. I have to imagine this hypothetically, though, because .. well, as I said before, there are kids in my house. I'm a stepmom to a 12 year old boy, a mom to a five year old boy, and because WHY NOT?, I've got another boy on the way, due in June. Sleeping in is a foreign concept in my house, similar to snow and/or unicorns. They are things we fantasize about but never truly come to fruition. And we have to be okay with that.

Since I've accepted my fate as Someone Who Gets Up Early, morning shortcuts have been vital to keeping my house moving quickly. With kids in different schools (and about forty-five minutes apart), plus my own crazy schedule, routines and shortcuts and whatnot are essential to not having Child Services called on me. (It's okay if I show up to work half-dressed or dirty, but I can't let my kids look that way!)

My main focus with this series will be passing along my morning shortcuts. Some of them .. well, all of them, probably .. require a bit of preplanning and effort, but like all habits, after a few times they become second nature. (And probably my favorite part? My kids not only are required participants in these shortcuts, but THEY learn these life skills in the process! My husband ..? Not so much. Yet. But I have hope.)

Readers: Are you an early bird or a night owl? How does that affect your mornings?

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
A middle of the day person.

I like to sleep in (& DS is often not up until 7:30/8 & we aren't ready to leave the house until about 10, like ever)

And I like to be in bed by 10 pm, preferably earlier.

DH is a night owl. Before DS, he would sleep 1 am or so-9 am, then get up & leave for work at 10. Now we wake him up by 8:30 so I can shower before he leaves for work
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Numom61507
by Tina on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I'm a night owl. It affects my mornings in that I need coffee to function in the morning. I always hated waking up early. I do some of my best writing at night.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM
I'm an early bird. I can get lots done before anyone else is up. I make my coffee so I can function and not get a headache.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM

We are night owls.

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I'm a night owl! Always have been.

GwenMB
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I'm also more of a middle of the day person.  I can stay up late, but am almost always in bed by 11, and prefer closer to 10.  I don't really like getting up early.  My morning would go better if I did - except that my boys wake up between 6:30 & 7 and insist on a morning snuggle so it'd be hard to do too much before that morning snuggle (which I treasure because they won't do it for forever).  That morning snuggle can make the morning a bit of a scramble, though.

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

early bird

Rushn311
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

night owl

4kidz916
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I hate mornings but I do get up early and get started since I seem to get so much more done that way.

sukainah
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I'm neither.  Like another said, I'm a middle of the day person.  I used to be a night owl until I finally was able to get to sleep lol.  My mornings run rather smoothly but sometimes they get hectic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN