Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 story house moms?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 18 Replies

It just hit me yesterday that i've always had an apt since i've been a mom. getting used to 2 stories for midnight medicine runs, teaching a toddler stairs, etc is gonna be a pita. any advice? oh and only bathroom is upstairs and he isn't potty trained yet. tips?

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Notes:

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Numom61507
by Tina on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM

It's not as bad as you think it is. We were in apartments up until a year and a half ago. If I need to use meds or anything during the night, I keep them upstairs with me. If you're potty training, I would be upstairs as much as possible so you're near the bathroom.

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. Im sure its doable. I mean I grew up in that house. Lol

Quoting Numom61507:

It's not as bad as you think it is. We were in apartments up until a year and a half ago. If I need to use meds or anything during the night, I keep them upstairs with me. If you're potty training, I would be upstairs as much as possible so you're near the bathroom.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM

We looked at a house this past weekend and its three stories.  We are currently in a ranch style, single floor.  While my youngest is 3 and its not the biggest deal I was kinda thinking the same thing like whoa--a lot of moving and shaking are going to come if we end up in a home that big!

Time to look at adding a half-bath on the first floor for potty training?!

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM
There is no place to add a half bath. Its a weird layout. I nannied forna family thay had 3 floors and a basement. It was kinda a nightmare but I sure had a great butt. Lol

Quoting Vertical15:

We looked at a house this past weekend and its three stories.  We are currently in a ranch style, single floor.  While my youngest is 3 and its not the biggest deal I was kinda thinking the same thing like whoa--a lot of moving and shaking are going to come if we end up in a home that big!

Vertical15
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Too bad :( Oh the place we saw also has a basement and attic (both are unfinished)  Maybe I need to show this to my husband so he will want the place more!  LOL

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

There is no place to add a half bath. Its a weird layout. I nannied forna family thay had 3 floors and a basement. It was kinda a nightmare but I sure had a great butt. Lol

Quoting Vertical15:

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha. Do it.

Quoting Vertical15:

Too bad :( Oh the place we saw also has a basement and attic (both are unfinished)  Maybe I need to show this to my husband so he will want the place more!  LOL

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting Vertical15:

collinsmommy0
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
We have a 3 story townhouse - but the first floor is just the garage & entryway. So the livable space is 2 stories.

Get your energy ready for trips up & down! Especially when DS was little, I kept a stash of stuff downstairs (extra clothes, burp cloths, etc). We dont have a space/container for stuff so now it's minimal & in a pile next to the couch (mainly Dss outfit for the day or pjs).

We have a bathroom on that floor. If we didnt, is probably spend most of the day upstairs since DS is pants & diaper off most of the time we are home at this point (potty training, sort of - he's pees in the potty almost all the time)

The stairs were an issue when Ds was learning how to go up & down & needed me there every time, especially if I needed to carry something with me. A gate was good to have but now at 23 months we have no gates up. He's fallen down a few stairs here & there & is super careful on them now. The gates have been down for a few months.
EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Good tips. Im gonna put our small tv upstairs and thatnis mainly where we will be. Or outside. We definitely need a gate tho. Because of his special needs he has zero fear factor for danger and does not learn from natural consequences. Its gonna take a long time I think to be gateless. Lol

Quoting collinsmommy0:

We have a 3 story townhouse - but the first floor is just the garage & entryway. So the livable space is 2 stories.

Get your energy ready for trips up & down! Especially when DS was little, I kept a stash of stuff downstairs (extra clothes, burp cloths, etc). We dont have a space/container for stuff so now it's minimal & in a pile next to the couch (mainly Dss outfit for the day or pjs).

We have a bathroom on that floor. If we didnt, is probably spend most of the day upstairs since DS is pants & diaper off most of the time we are home at this point (potty training, sort of - he's pees in the potty almost all the time)

The stairs were an issue when Ds was learning how to go up & down & needed me there every time, especially if I needed to carry something with me. A gate was good to have but now at 23 months we have no gates up. He's fallen down a few stairs here & there & is super careful on them now. The gates have been down for a few months.
collinsmommy0
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM
It's probably a good idea then - DS is pretty cautious & I'm still pretty sure he's going to fall at some point.

I highly recommend getting the more expensive gates that have a kind of door or way to open. We got 2 of those & totally worth it over the $10 gates that you have to move every time you walk through.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Good tips. Im gonna put our small tv upstairs and thatnis mainly where we will be. Or outside. We definitely need a gate tho. Because of his special needs he has zero fear factor for danger and does not learn from natural consequences. Its gonna take a long time I think to be gateless. Lol

Quoting collinsmommy0:

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM
good tip. thanks :) we have one gate that you have to move all the time but i think there is a way to make it a door kind if i could just find the parts. lol. but that will be for the kitchen regardless so it doesn't matter. i can step over it. but the upstairs we will definitely look for the door kind. i can just see myself trying to step over it and falling all the way down. lol. the down stairs part of the door idk what to do though. it's a weird setup. and the stairway is open with just a wrought iron railing. not sure how to attached anything to that but i'm sure we will figure something out because i have to block both ends right?
Quoting collinsmommy0:

It's probably a good idea then - DS is pretty cautious & I'm still pretty sure he's going to fall at some point.

I highly recommend getting the more expensive gates that have a kind of door or way to open. We got 2 of those & totally worth it over the $10 gates that you have to move every time you walk through.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)