Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Checking This Post Off of My List - CHECK

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

Part of a Virgo's chemical make-up revolves around Lists. Man, we love Lists. We love Lists enough that they have earned capitalization within a post, because it is a vital, dynamic part of our existence. The List! ::cue angel choir::

To be fair, no one else in my house shares this fondness. Maybe it's because I tend to be a bit .. I dunno .. militant? about my Lists, or maybe it's because I'm the only Virgo, but I know that whenever there's a new List present, the kids inevitably groan. (My husband has learned to internalize his groans into silent sighs, so as not to make his lfie harder than it has to be.)

But look! Lists? Are AMAZING. Sure, they may look like more stuff to do, but in my mind? They are full of things of stuff TO CHECK OFF. The joy of crossing off something on my List? Is close to unrivaled. The joy of warm Krispie Kremes = the joy of crossing things off of my list.

Much like we enforce an early bedtime in hopes of a smoother morning routine, we feel the same way about lists. My husband gets a bit .. frazzled .. in the morning, and lists are what make sure he has everything he needs when he walks out of the door. Our lists are not complex; to the contrary, our lists are usually one word, and very simple reminders dominate them. "Glasses." Check. "Homework." Check. "Lunch packed." Check. Sometimes.

The boys have lists, too. Until recently, the five year old had a list made of pictures. A picture of a bed reminds him to make his before he leaves. A picture of clothes reminds him to pick up the floor of his room. Basics, right? And does he check them off every single day? Not 100%, not every day, no. (He is human, after all. And not a Virgo.) But do we hit some of those every day? Oh, yes, we do. And we hit 100% more of those than we would if there were NO lists.

While they may moan and complain, I can see where this is becoming a life skill that will have a longer benefit to them. Our 12 year old is now in middle school, where teachers are allowing the students to be more independent. Lists are KEY. And luckily, he's familar enough with them that he's aware of how to efficiently utilize them. So I feel like I owned this parenting thing!

(For today.)(I'm not crossing it off my list yet.)

Are you a List Master? How old did you start using them with your kids?

Image Credit: iStock Photo

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Numom61507
by Tina on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Is this why I love my lists and organization so much? Apparently, I'm astrologically inclined to do so? 

Hm. That explains a lot :)

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Im not a virgo but I share your love for lists. Its weird. I have lists within lists. My mom was a list maker and I share her obsession. I have had a whiteboard for lists since I was 10!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Can't say I'm a list person unless its for a special occasion. I have a permanent grocery list and check off what we need.

If its a holiday or party I do lists. Vacation always has lists. But I also made permanent lists for what to pack based on the weather. Why keep writing the same thing.

I don't have lists for day to day activities and never made one for my kids either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM

No we don't really do lists

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I make a lot of lists.

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I love lists too.

GwenMB
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I don't do lists - but I should!  My memory is terrible, I'm always forgetting stuff.  Lists would help.

Rushn311
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I  do lists for especially traveling for a week or more. I check it off. I am writing a list for baby needs when I have this baby this fall. I write lists for birthday parties for the kids. It helps me know what I need to do and have done.

4kidz916
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I'm a Virgo and yes, I am a list maker.  At work they call me the list lady.  

arpazia
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM
No way!
We just wing it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)