Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too much water?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM
  • 25 Replies

I know at first this might sound stupid, so bear with me. lol. I think I drink too much water. I drink 80 to 100 oz per day and I only weigh 120 lbs. I can't gain weight. I can't get pregnant. My fertility charting instructor said she was surprised my dr hadn't recommended a fatty acid supplement and that got me thinking about fat in general. I eat a lot of healthy fat and in general have a healthy diet. I tracked my calories for a week and I take in way more than I'm suppossed to need per day and yet, despite a lack of excessive excercise, I can't gain weight. I want to weight 10 to 15 lbs more since that's what I weighed when i got pregnant with Ethan. For some reason, it's in my mind that gainign weight is what I need to do to get pregnant.

So my question, could I be drinking too much water? and if so, how do i stop it?

by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Are you excessively thirsty? Is it because you don't like anything else?

If it's because your thirsty a lot I would check for diabetes. If it's because it's the only thing you like then try changing one water for something else.

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM

it is because i'm always thirsty. i've had my sugars checked every wya possible multiple times. i have pcos but none of my sugars are in any way bad. i changed out a lot of juice and pop for water because everyone says it's healthier. and because supposedly that was supposed to help my constant thirst. but it clearly didn't. i can't drink milk so that's out too.

Quoting mamamedic69:

If it's because your thirsty a lot I would check for diabetes. If it's because it's the only thing you like then try changing one water for something else.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Let me do a little research through some of my books here. I'll try and get back to you tomorrow. :)

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

it is because i'm always thirsty. i've had my sugars checked every wya possible multiple times. i have pcos but none of my sugars are in any way bad. i changed out a lot of juice and pop for water because everyone says it's healthier. and because supposedly that was supposed to help my constant thirst. but it clearly didn't. i can't drink milk so that's out too.

Quoting mamamedic69:

Vertical15
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I wish I had some magic advice for you but I don't know.  I struggle with the opposite problem.  I really hope that you can find some answers.

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Have you had your thyroid tested?  You could have an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).   Or it could be a kidney thing...not to be creepy, but do you pee a lot?  Have you talked about this stuff with your doctor?  I would recommend keeping an exact journal of everything that you are eating and drinking for a couple of weeks before going in, so that you can be very specific with your data. 

collinsmommy0
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM
I have been drinking a lot of water. Maybe 80-100 oz per day but have been having some issues - I'm 22 weeks pregnant. I'm always tired, always feel sick, etc.

My doctor advised me to drink a little sports drink each day (4-8 oz) or coconut water instead of plain water. It has helped WAY more than I ever thought. She said drink more if I'm still super thirsty. She said the electrolites in them help. If you drink too much water, then it could decrease your potassium level which causes issues. A few moms in my DDG were told the same thing (to drink sports drinks)

I'm still tired but I'm not feeling sick all the time (it's lessened a lot) & I'm not super thirsty all the time. I've been drinking sports drink for the last week but then will switch to coconut water for a week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

yes yes and yes. lol. Ive had extensive conversations with several different drs as well as my chiropractor. none of them can pinpoint a problem. I've had tests done multiple times over several years. The only thing that came up was PCOS which means my male hormones are too high and my female are too low. I am taking a progesterone supplement each month now and feel much better overall so hopefully in time that will help? idk.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Have you had your thyroid tested?  You could have an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).   Or it could be a kidney thing...not to be creepy, but do you pee a lot?  Have you talked about this stuff with your doctor?  I would recommend keeping an exact journal of everything that you are eating and drinking for a couple of weeks before going in, so that you can be very specific with your data. 

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM

thanks. i will try that. i don't usually drink sports drinks cuz i think they're gross but i will look for a yummy one. :) btw let me know if you find a yummy coconut water. that stuff is disgusting!

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I have been drinking a lot of water. Maybe 80-100 oz per day but have been having some issues - I'm 22 weeks pregnant. I'm always tired, always feel sick, etc.

My doctor advised me to drink a little sports drink each day (4-8 oz) or coconut water instead of plain water. It has helped WAY more than I ever thought. She said drink more if I'm still super thirsty. She said the electrolites in them help. If you drink too much water, then it could decrease your potassium level which causes issues. A few moms in my DDG were told the same thing (to drink sports drinks)

I'm still tired but I'm not feeling sick all the time (it's lessened a lot) & I'm not super thirsty all the time. I've been drinking sports drink for the last week but then will switch to coconut water for a week.

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM

thanks :) I've been asking doctors for years with no answers. smh. I don't trust doctors anymore because of how much they ignore me or don't have answers for anything. It's progressively gotten worse. I think it might partly be a habit now, but i also know that too little makes my head ache so bad!

Quoting mamamedic69:

Let me do a little research through some of my books here. I'll try and get back to you tomorrow. :)

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting mamamedic69:

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I'm still looking into it for you. I'm more of a holistic/natural type person. Plus I'm looking at my nutrition books as well.

Doctors don't always know everything, hence why it's called a practice. (Just joking hoping to have you smile a little)

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

thanks :) I've been asking doctors for years with no answers. smh. I don't trust doctors anymore because of how much they ignore me or don't have answers for anything. It's progressively gotten worse. I think it might partly be a habit now, but i also know that too little makes my head ache so bad!

Quoting mamamedic69:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting mamamedic69:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN