Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Most Important Meal of the Day (So They Say)

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

I distinctly remember my mother slaving over our breakfasts before school. It was always something fairly easy, unless we were having standardized testing. For some reason, anything that involved a #2 pencil and a sheet of bubbles to fill in sent my mom into a tizzy, and she was fanatical about providing us a three-course breakfast whenever there was testing involved.

I would love to say that I never minded, but the truth is? I'm not a breakfast person. At all. In fact, the hardest part of this pregnancy has been staving off the nausea by forcing myself to eat something - ANYTHING - in the morning. I am just wired to not eat until lunch.. if even then.

(This paints myself as quite the skinny individual, doesn't it? HAHAHAHA.. so not true, my friends.)

So mornings are often iffy when it comes to breakfast for my kids. Because I personally don't like to eat in the mornings? I find it VERY difficult to force it on my kids. Especially when mornings can already be so hectic.. I just don't feel like finding another sword to fall on, you know?

My five year old wakes up when I do (which is pretty early), so I have no problem tossing a cold Pop-Tart his way and letting him munch as he watches something on Netflix. My twelve year old, however, would prefer a luxurious hot spread for breakfast.. but also can't be bothered to get out of bed more than five minutes before it's time to depart for the day. As a result? He gets money to eat breakfast at school. And while this is the norm, there are some days that they don't want to eat. Life goes on. I haven't yet seen a difference in school performance or emotional stability as a result of whether or not they eat.

Now - to be clear - weekends? Oh, dude, I am ALL ABOUT some brunch on the weekends.

Are you an advocate for breakfast during the week for your kids? Why or why not?

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loveTHEviking
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I'm not a big breakfast person but the boys do eat every morning. Ian has breakfast at school & Thomas eats about 30 minutes or so after I get him up. If I do eat breakfast during the week it's nothing more than a bowl of cereal or some toast. On the weekends we eat breakfast together but it's later b/c we all sleep in a little :).

SlightlyPerfect
It's here...
Yesterday at 9:19 AM
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I hate breakfast. I never force my daughter to eat unless we're all eating at the table as a family.

slightlyperfect

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I hate breakfast but my dd will eat maybe a half of a pop tart or a piece of toast. She's definitely like me and does better eating at lunch time.

On Saturday we have a full breakfast as DH cooks if he is home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

They both eat breakfast.

jessicasmom1
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I am not a big breakfast eater but I do make sure DD eats a hot meal everyday it helps her to do school work and keep more focused. During testing Yes she gets the 3 if not 4 course breakfast ... :-) so you childhood sounds alot like hers.

GwenMB
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I don't eat much for breakfast, but my boys need to eat immediately when they get up.  So they do have breakfast every morning before school.

goddess99
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Of course, my dd needs fuel to get through her day.

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM
My kids eat breakfast every day.
lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Breakfast is my DD's favorite meal of the day.

sukainah
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

my kids eat breakfast everyday, but I make sure that my oldest school aged son eats well for breakfast, because I know he doesn't he well at lunch time at school.  But for me, I don't eat breakfast unless I'm eating the kids leftovers, which doesn't happen often LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)