Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to clean a carseat.

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 41 Replies
Long story short ds puked twice in his carseat today. The cover isnt bad but the straps are awful!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Numom61507
by Tina on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Ugh! I don't miss that! Lucky my daughter is old enough for sick bags if they are needed..

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM
When that happened with my dd, we took the coarsest out and washed it in the shower.
collinsmommy0
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM

oh yuck!  I hope he feels better!

The cover can be taken off & washed according to the car seat manual (general a washing in the washing machine is okay - sometimes they shrink if put in the dryer and it should specify that in the manual)

The straps are much harder.  I've heard a toothpick to get out the throw up.  Never emerge the straps under water.  

I've also heard wetting the straps a little then leave it out in the sun to dry.  That should help with the smell and help get off some of the puke.

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM
He does this about once a month but the straps have never been this soaked. It never even touched the cover part. I will try the sun idea. Sounds reasonable. Do you know if baby lysol or febreeze are allowed?

Quoting collinsmommy0:

oh yuck!  I hope he feels better!

The cover can be taken off & washed according to the car seat manual (general a washing in the washing machine is okay - sometimes they shrink if put in the dryer and it should specify that in the manual)

The straps are much harder.  I've heard a toothpick to get out the throw up.  Never emerge the straps under water.  

I've also heard wetting the straps a little then leave it out in the sun to dry.  That should help with the smell and help get off some of the puke.

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Didnt even think of the shower. Duh! Thanks. I will wash it in there.

Quoting mamamedic69:

When that happened with my dd, we took the coarsest out and washed it in the shower.
EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM
I cant figure out why he does it. Its connected to eating but nothing specific. He does it every month or 2.

Quoting mamamedic69:

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM
You're welcome!! BTW, laundry detergent works better than shampoo or hands soap.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting mamamedic69:

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I dont have liquid laundry soap. Can I use spray and wash or carpet cleaner?

Quoting mamamedic69:

You're welcome!! BTW, laundry detergent works better than shampoo or hands soap.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting mamamedic69:

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM
What about dish soap? Dawn, Ajax, generic liquid dish soap.

Shampoo will get it out but it'll take longer. You can try the spray and wash but the carpet cleaners seem strong smelling to me.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

I dont have liquid laundry soap. Can I use spray and wash or carpet cleaner?

Quoting mamamedic69:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting mamamedic69:

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Luckily my girl doesn't do it that often. Mostly if we have been out and about busy and she is over tired or over stimulated.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

I cant figure out why he does it. Its connected to eating but nothing specific. He does it every month or 2.

Quoting mamamedic69:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)