Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Great Ways to Cut All the Kid Clutter!

Cafe AmyB
Yesterday at 11:38 AM
Advice for Moms Group - CafeMom

Share parenting and relationship advice, recipes, baby names and everything from potty training to weight loss tips.

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

6 Great Ways to Cut All the Kid Clutter!

posted by Gabrielle Blair 

I think there are parts of minimalism that really appeal to me. Less stuff equals less clutter, right? But unless you're super dedicated at that sort of endeavor, the realities of living with kids sets in fast, and before you know it you're tripping on Tonka trucks and finding broken crayons on the bottom of your purse. With that in mind, I've put together a few good inspirations to help you kick the kid clutter to the curb (or storage basket) where it belongs.

The first? Use painter or washi tape to hang some of your child's best artwork rather than letting it sit out on the counter or clog up a drawer. It's a great non-permanent way to display their creativity at the cost of a few rolls of tape and zero damage to your walls. 

See more ideas like this below:

I feel like crayons, beads, pencils, and other small items are my nemesis when it comes to clutter. That's why I really dig the idea of storing them in jars. You can get crazy and Superglue some spray painted animals on there, or just leave it be. Either way, a place for everything and everything in its place means no more random colored pencils rolling around on the table.

Add some casters to a plain bookshelf unit, drill some big holes for buckets, and you've pretty much got a catch-all for just about everything. Buckets for the little stuff and shelves for whatever else. 

Old lockers make for superb storage if you're lucky enough to find some. Plus, I love the industrial feel they have. Don't forget about filing cabinets, either -- they're good for more than holding folders!

Take advantage of that space under the bed and turn it into storage. Hunt down some old crates, bins, and baskets. I've even seen people put casters on old drawers to make them roll. It's wasted space otherwise, so you might as well put it to use and get all that stuff off the floor!

Take your storage vertical by adding hanging shelves for books or other treasures. Storing books and toys this way opens up more floor space, and less stuff on the floor means less stuff to trip over. Total win!

So there you have it -- enough ideas to get your gears turning, I'm sure. I want to hear if you have any other great ideas for cutting the clutter in your kids' rooms. Tell me in the comments below!

by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
loveTHEviking
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Those are really great ideas!
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Love these ideas! We cut clutter by storing stuff in separate reuseable grocery bags. Ethan is only allowed to have one bag out at a time. Its not perfect but it helps a lot!
leanntx
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Love these ideas!! I'm planning on getting some old wooden crates to build a shelf with for storage in my boys' room. I'm also going to buy a cube storage unit with baskets for undergarments to free up more space in their dresser for shorts and play clothes.
SlightlyPerfect
When you find "The Interview" online...
Yesterday at 9:25 PM
by on May. 2, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I love built-in shelves. When we buy The House, I want a fireplace surrounded by built-in shelves and French doors.

slightlyperfect

TigerofMu
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM

THose are some great storage ideas!

Vertical15
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM

The casters on the bookshelves with the buckets has got to be my favorite!  We are in the process of weeding through 10 years of kids toys.  Granted we have gone through them yearly but now we are on a mission to downsize.  The toys have taken over!

mamamedic69
by Deanna on May. 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I love the jar idea especially for all the beads and strings that my girl is into. I took and old sheet and had my dd paint it an deocrate it it. We tacked it up in the corner of her room and put most of her stuffed animals in it. Every week we rotate out some of the animals on her bed for ones in the sheet shelf. Keeps them off the floor but within easy reach.

Numom61507
by Tina on May. 5, 2013 at 3:57 AM

My favorite thing in my daughter's room is her desk. We made it out of her old crib so the sides are high. Her pens, pencils and markers are in bins on it but there is a cut shoe organizer that hangs on the side. In it are all her little notepads, marker or crayon sets, specialty things, glus sticks, etc. 

We purchased one of those mesh pop-up laundry bins for her Toy Story characters. She has almost the whole cast and they are all full-size. 

Her closet was redone when we redid her room. We put in shelves and all her toys are in bins but I found some giant hat boxes where her collections are (dress-up, Cars 2 characters, Barbies, etc). She has a lot of stuff and I need order so everything has it's place :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN