Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hit the Ground Running

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies

So one of the things I'm most excited about bringing back into my life post-baby is running. I am not built like a runner, I do not resemble a runner, and I'm not particularly fast or skilled - I'm a runner because I run. And two or three mornings a week, I'd meet a cadre of women on a nature trail before sunrise and we'd get anywhere from 3-5 miles in.

I'm a huge believer in exercise being a key piece for a sound mental Me, but I work a crazy (and often changing) schedule. Afternoon or evening workouts often meant that I'd have to leave something undone somewhere to make it to the gym/track/what have you.. which meant that I had MORE work to do post-workout.. and let's not even mention dinner and dessert and bedtime routines for the kids. Suffice it to say: if I want to workout or exercise or anything, it's gotta happen EARLY.

I used to resent it, the fact that I had to give up MY sleep in order to have time for ME. But once I got past that.. and seriously, how often do we as Moms have to coax ourselves through that?.. I learned to love it. There's something so incredibly refreshing about sweating as you watch the sunrise. You feel reborn and renewed. You feel, quite frankly, pretty bad ass.

After I'd been running for about a year, my five year old wanted to start joining me on some early morning runs. Now, he's FIVE, so we run very little. We probably run about a mile - at a VERY slow pace, even for me - and then we'll walk back, talking about everything and taking our time. I have to carefully budget these mornings.. we move slower, so if we've got a tight schedule, it's not a good morning for us to have a "morning jog". But man.. I love those mornings when they happen.

I know my mornings will be different when the baby arrives - there' s a whole new layer of chaos and planning that will go into just getting by - but I hope against hope that I get to see a few more sunrises as I feel my feet pound the pavement.

Are you a fan of the early morning workout? When's your preferred time of the day for exercise?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Numom61507
by Tina on May. 6, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I work out after I put my daughter on the bus. I usually have just enough time to shower afterwards before I have to pick up my sister at school. 

TerriC
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Not so much in the morning, too busy.  Maybe later morning after I drop the kids off at school.

MichelleK41
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I actually prefer late afternoon/early evening.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on May. 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM
If I didn't have a disability I would be able to run/exercise more.
kellynh
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

No!! Actually, night always works better for me. 

Rushn311
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

No. when i was working out, I found it hard to do it in the m orning because  I am not a morning person at all.

4kidz916
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

During the summer months I get up early each morning and take a long walk before work. 

mrswillie
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I prefer working out in the morning
GwenMB
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I have a very hard time getting up to go exercise.  But your morning jogs with your son really sounds appealing!

lalasmama2007
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM

No, I'm not a morning person, so working out in the morning is not going to happen.  I prefer to do it in the early evening.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)