Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why can't vegan places get it right?

Posted by   + Show Post
Collin is allergic to milk, so I'm milk free too. There's a lot of restaurants around that we can eat a good meal at. DH didn't want to go to any of those tonight. He wanted to try somewhere new. DH picked

First place? 15 min drive, Pakistani food. The only item I could get is hummus. We left.

Second place? Vegan pizza. I was against this. I've had vegan pizza from vegan pizza places before & hated it. We get milk free pizza all the time - just order no cheese with veggies at places I've confirmed their pizza crust & sauce is vegan/milk free. There's at least 3 places where we get good pizza milk free (& vegan). I hate soy cheese. I think it's gross.

This place had 4.5 stars on yelp, 60+ reviews. You'd think it was good, right? Nope.nasty crust - like flimsy & wet, sauce was gross, burned tofu on top as 'fake chicken'. We got cheesy breadsticks too & the only half decent one had hardly any cheese on it.

It's like they make their food taste bad on purpose.
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (11-17):
mrswillie
by on May. 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM

With such a limited diet, it must be haard. Hugs

Sisteract
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Frustrating

Numom61507
by Tina on May. 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM

You gotta wonder how places like that stay in business...

goddess99
by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I'm sorry. There isn't a place to eat here either. I don't even bother trying.

TigerofMu
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Yuck.  Can't say I'd be really excited about eating there.

collinsmommy0
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM

The workers there (I'm pretty sure one was the owner) were pretty hippy-ish and they had all the flyers everywhere about how 'meat is murder!' etc.  So I was convinced they were vegan!

Quoting Trix_Scarlets:

Businesses like that aren't commonly ran by vegans. It's just a growing market and just recently started bringing in a lot of possible money to be earned. So you have non-vegans trying to make and prepare dishes and meals with very little research. Focusing on the growing demand for such and off what is truely wanted. They taste the meals and to them it taste horrid and they think that is how it's suppose to taste. So they market it. They focus not on taste but what goes in it, so they lose the point of why people go there and could careless because they know currently how rare such a eatting preference is still rare.

Trix_Scarlets
by on May. 14, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Well it's rather common for people to play the part even if such isn't fully true. The aspects if running a style of business is becoming what the customers are to make them relate to you. In this case the owner could be just playing the role to fit into the customer crowd. Customers commonly buy from those who they feel comfortable with and come to trust. Such is only an image thing, and chances are the same thing goes here. He could play the "hippy" part, seeming the aspect of a "hippy" is a well known image of what people think vegan is. It's an over played image and one which is commonly linked to that social aspect. He could be playing the part from a business standpoint and know nothing but rumors and guesses about the diet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)