Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keep or toss/donate?

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 16 Replies
It's to the point where we have too much 'stuff'. And we are expecting another baby (read:more stuff) in August.

If you were leaving the workforce for 5 years or so (that's the plan), would you keep your work clothes or donate most of them?

I used to teach special Ed. I have TONS of teacher books - DH says to toss/donate them. They are $20 new generally & I have 2 giant tubs of them.....but with the new standards ill probably buy a bunch of new ones when I go back to teaching. Would you keep most or donate most of them?
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaMandee
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I kept most of my books from when I taught pre-school. But if you want to get rid of them you should donate or maybe sell online.
elasmimi
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM

There are lots of on line garage sales now, I'd sell.

Bob192
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Maybe check into consigning them.

PEEK05
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I would donate most of them and get new one when it's time to go back!

TigerofMu
by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I'd go through them. I am also a teacher, though I left the public school system in 2009 to teach my own at home. I still take continuing education classes, and so much is changing all the time, especially with special ed research, practices, and legislation. I would keep the things that you know you have used and will use in the future, and then decide how much space you have and if you want to keep the rest. I would keep at least my favorite work clothes, the "classics". You might need to dress nice for something in the next five years! Plus, that way you won't have to buy an entire new wardrobe if you choose to go back in five years. You can buy new, but you'll have something to start out with.
.Angelica.
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 1:28 AM

i have a bad habit of keeping things I don't need. I have recently just been getting rid of stuff I haven't touched in a long time.

loveTHEviking
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

If you think you'll have to buy new ones I'd just donate them :). Teachers are AWESOME by the way!

mrswillie
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I would have a yard sale or consign them.

Sisteract
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Donate

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

i would look around at what's popular for spec ed books and keep the ones you have and donate the rest. maybe find a local special needs support group and give to them? as a momma of special needs kiddo i can tell you how much it would mean to me if someone donated books like that to me. :) anyway....i would ditch the clothes except maybe the nice slacks. everything else will be out of style by then anyway. check out local charities that help people find jobs. i know my school collected them for the poorer students to go on interviews.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)