Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anybody have tips on prepping a toddler for a move? It occurred to me yesterday that we haven't prepped Ethan enough for the move when this conversation happened...

Ethan: no! you can't! (about me peeling the sticker decorations off the bathroom wall)

me: Ethan we have to take all the decorations down so that we can move.

Ethan: what??!! (in a very surprised, very concerned tone)

oops. mommy fail. help me out!!!!

by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Replies (11-16):
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Thanks so much! Yah my mom is trying to leave stuff for us incase it gets delayed. I know it can happen just have no way of prepping ethan for that :(

Quoting TigerofMu:

Good thinking. I would be prepared for your stuff not to show up right away also. Sometimes it can get delayed. They usually schedule a delivery date for you I think. I messaged my friend who is a military mom that just completed a move with their 4 year old and new baby with a link to your post, so hopefully she will have a chance to stop by and will have the "voice of experience" to help you.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

great idea. i can let him help with the suitcases and the kitty stuff and the cooler. :) I have such rigid thinking and I never think of these things. lol. It's always all or nothing for me. I'm sure he will like our new place, but it's gonna be hard on him if our stuff doesn't show up right away. I'm just praying they are timely about that because without our stuff he's gonna flip. we are taking the small tv with us for that very reason.

Quoting TigerofMu:

I wish Tonya was here. She would have great military moving advice. I would say just continue to explain to him about the move and reassure him. Bring it up over and over again, repetition may help it sink in better. Let him help with the things that he can help with, some of the smaller things around the house maybe, putting some of his special toys in a bag or box? Not enough to interfere with the procedure, but maybe help with a bag that will go with you so that he can feel like he has some control.

collinsmommy0
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Maybe find a book about moving and read it to him, write a social story to help (if you have pictures of the new place you can add pictures of his new place in there).  If possible, since you know the old owners, maybe send a few toys now in the mail and have your parents take a picture of his toys there......so you can make the connection that his toys will be at the new house.

Talk about fun things at the new house, too, like if there is a children's museum nearby or something that you can plan a trip with him to, or a new park (generally yelp or the town's website may have pictures of the new park)

collinsmommy0
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Also, good luck - I added a storage unit to Collin's closet yesterday (for the new baby due in 3 months) and Collin is still looking at it like it's a green alien that has invaded his closet.

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM

thanks! i will make the story. i asked my mom today to take some simple pics of the house for him. she is gonna get him some matchbox cars to have ready and his fav foods for when we get there. i'm also trying to play up the swingset aspect of it because now he will have his very own slide and swings. :) i'm thinking about getting a cheap map of the us and a little car so he can drive it across the states to his new home.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Maybe find a book about moving and read it to him, write a social story to help (if you have pictures of the new place you can add pictures of his new place in there).  If possible, since you know the old owners, maybe send a few toys now in the mail and have your parents take a picture of his toys there......so you can make the connection that his toys will be at the new house.

Talk about fun things at the new house, too, like if there is a children's museum nearby or something that you can plan a trip with him to, or a new park (generally yelp or the town's website may have pictures of the new park)

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM

haha!!!! Ethan does great with new furniture, it's new clothes you wanna watch out for. he acts like they're gonna bit him. lol

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Also, good luck - I added a storage unit to Collin's closet yesterday (for the new baby due in 3 months) and Collin is still looking at it like it's a green alien that has invaded his closet.

kearaloves1
by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I like this suggesstion thanknyou for sharing girl!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)