Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crazed Mornings?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 29 Replies

Sanity-saving strategies for when your a.m. implodes.

Stay chill. When the kids bicker over who has more OJ or you burn breakfast while checking your BlackBerry, don’t panic—pause. Step outside and breathe in the crisp fall air to stay calm.

Delegate. Is your to-do list full at 7:30 a.m.? Call in reinforcements: Assign scheduling the plumber’s visit to your spouse, and have your sitter come a few minutes early to wrangle the kids before school drop-off. Sip some green tea before cranking up for work.

Keep it real. You’d like your children to eat a balanced breakfast daily, but sometimes a banana muffin will have to do. Nix the guilt and applaud your best working-mother efforts. Chuckle at the craziness and vow to do it better tomorrow.

(http://www.workingmother.com/time-saving-tips/crazed-mornings)

What are your tips to keep the mornings under control?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Say om. Instead of hitting the snooze button and struggling to fall back to sleep, use those extra 10 minutes to meditate. Breathing deeply and relaxing before your feet hit the cold floor will help you align your thoughts, your day—and your energy.

Vertical15

Ease in. Last night’s dirty dishes will only make you want to hide under the covers. So take on your most pleasurable to-dos first—brisk walking with the dog, making a yummy breakfast. This way, you’ll be motivated to get moving.

Vertical15

More Delegate duties. Sure, you want to do it all, but you really shouldn’t. Figure out how your kids and your partner can pitch in, and dole out the tasks to make your morning less taxing.

Vertical15
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM

5 Easy Ways to Manage the Morning Madness

Posted on March 06, 2012

How do we manage the chaos every morning before heading out of the door? How do we ensure that the kids have on the right outfit for the weather, lunch boxes, books and other after-school prep materials? Let's not forget our own perfectly tailored suit or dress for work, lunch, reports that were typed overnight, bills that needs to be dropped off, trash that needs to go out, grocery list that needs to be done on our way back from work. And wait, soccer lesson is at 5pm?

There is so much going on in the working mother day that it sometimes feel like madness in the wee hours of the morning.

Do you feel disorganized, rushed and tired in the mornings?

1. Get 3 things done the night before
I say three things because most of us are exhausted from preparing dinner, loading the dishwasher and so much more. Try to set your priorities and pick 3 that are the most important. You don't need to create a chart or anything, you can do this consciously every evening. Take 3. You can choose to get your clothes ready for the morning, have the kids take their bath, and prepare lunch boxes. These are things I do every night that have proved very effective.

2. Keep a Calendar

We have all missed that one important meeting before due to lack of visible documentation. It is important that you have a family calendar where everyone writes their important event such as basketball practice, church meetings, and so on.

3. Assign Responsibilities

Be sure to assign responsibilities as well, so as not to wait till the last minute. Once everyone including your spouse knows what is expected of them, then there is less room for a mishap. Your entire family could do a quick review every night before going to bed of who is picking up groceries, prescriptions, etc. Try not to have this discussion in the morning to avoid disagreement and confusion.

4. Standardize, and Do It Often

My husband and I have a standard routine for picking and dropping off our little girl. He drops off in the morning, after I get her ready for school. And I pick her up while he prepares dinner or do laundry. Do whatever works for your family.

5. Create a Bedtime Routine

Have the kids go to bed early and do the same yourself. Once everyone gets a good amount of sleep, you feel less rushed the next day and ready to tackle whatever comes your way. Pay attention to how much sleep everyone needs, so that no one is left feeling grumpy or tired in the morning. This could add to your stress level and make for a bad day.

loveTHEviking
by on May. 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Mornings here aren't crazy usually. Ian acts up occasionally but nothing I haven't dealt wit before. Usually I just make him sit and chill out and things get back on track.

loveTHEviking
by on May. 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Those I do :).

Quoting Vertical15:

Posted on March 06, 2012

How do we manage the chaos every morning before heading out of the door? How do we ensure that the kids have on the right outfit for the weather, lunch boxes, books and other after-school prep materials? Let's not forget our own perfectly tailored suit or dress for work, lunch, reports that were typed overnight, bills that needs to be dropped off, trash that needs to go out, grocery list that needs to be done on our way back from work. And wait, soccer lesson is at 5pm?

There is so much going on in the working mother day that it sometimes feel like madness in the wee hours of the morning.

Do you feel disorganized, rushed and tired in the mornings?

1. Get 3 things done the night before
I say three things because most of us are exhausted from preparing dinner, loading the dishwasher and so much more. Try to set your priorities and pick 3 that are the most important. You don't need to create a chart or anything, you can do this consciously every evening. Take 3. You can choose to get your clothes ready for the morning, have the kids take their bath, and prepare lunch boxes. These are things I do every night that have proved very effective.

2. Keep a Calendar

We have all missed that one important meeting before due to lack of visible documentation. It is important that you have a family calendar where everyone writes their important event such as basketball practice, church meetings, and so on.

3. Assign Responsibilities

Be sure to assign responsibilities as well, so as not to wait till the last minute. Once everyone including your spouse knows what is expected of them, then there is less room for a mishap. Your entire family could do a quick review every night before going to bed of who is picking up groceries, prescriptions, etc. Try not to have this discussion in the morning to avoid disagreement and confusion.

4. Standardize, and Do It Often

My husband and I have a standard routine for picking and dropping off our little girl. He drops off in the morning, after I get her ready for school. And I pick her up while he prepares dinner or do laundry. Do whatever works for your family.

5. Create a Bedtime Routine

Have the kids go to bed early and do the same yourself. Once everyone gets a good amount of sleep, you feel less rushed the next day and ready to tackle whatever comes your way. Pay attention to how much sleep everyone needs, so that no one is left feeling grumpy or tired in the morning. This could add to your stress level and make for a bad day.

Numom61507
by Tina on May. 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I don't have 2 children but I have a husband and child and they are at each other's throats constantly. It gets annoying. 

I have tried my best to establish a morning routine but it all goes to the pot when these two start. 

EthansMomma2010
by on May. 30, 2013 at 2:01 AM
One thing I have forgotten to do since becoming a mom is to use the snooze to think about my day and what is going to be great about it and thank God for it. Now that little man wakes me up I've gotten out of that routine :(
EthansMomma2010
by on May. 30, 2013 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Love the tips BTW
Vertical15
by on May. 30, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Ours are only crazy on some days.  Usually when there is school and we wake up late!  LOL

Quoting loveTHEviking:

Mornings here aren't crazy usually. Ian acts up occasionally but nothing I haven't dealt wit before. Usually I just make him sit and chill out and things get back on track.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)