Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergy testing

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 11 Replies
We went to the allergist today. He goes 'Collin looks great! No issues with him?' I about laughed then showed him pictures of some of Collins allergic reactions (to who knows what, but we suspect 6-7 food allergies).

So next week we go for testing, then have to repeat it the week after. And it probably won't tell us anything since he is 2 (testing can be inaccurate until after age 3)

Pricked by 55 little needles, waiting for 20-30 minutes, they have to be 'read', then wiped off & we get results. Then repeat a week later with 55 environmental allergens. Fun fun!

Hopefully we will get some ideas of what he is allergic to, now we just use observation to determine what he can't eat.
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM
I hope they find out soon. That's a lot of little needles. Too bad they can't do it without so many.

EthansMomma2010
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

aww. hopefully it will help. our dr told us something very interesting that it takes about 2 years to development environmental allergies such as pollen when you move into a new place. so ethan might outgrow his allergies before he gets them again. I'm sure he won't, but there is a little hope.

cabrandy03
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Oh no fun!  Hopefully this gets you the answers your looking for!

mcginnisc
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM

No fun! I am allergic to a ton of stuff and that test was no fun for me...I am trying to avoid it for my bio dd for as long as possible as I have a feeling she has some allergies too. How is it taking so long to get results? I had mine within an hour of testing. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

graycalico
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM
That's sounds awful
loveTHEviking
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Aww poor guy! I hope they find out soon! That sounds nerve wracking!

collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
We get the results from the first round of testing that day, then again the next week. I was told to expect a 1-2 hour long appointment (they often run behind)

Quoting mcginnisc:

No fun! I am allergic to a ton of stuff and that test was no fun for me...I am trying to avoid it for my bio dd for as long as possible as I have a feeling she has some allergies too. How is it taking so long to get results? I had mine within an hour of testing. 

Numom61507
by Tina on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I know a girl who went through this twice because the results were 'inconclusive' the first time. Hopefully you have a great medical staff working on him!

collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM
We did it when he was 7 months old & everything came up negative even though he reacts to things. Apparently it can be inconclusive before age 3, so it's almost dumb that we are doing it when he just turned 2.....but I'd rather know if there are a few positives

And things like apple, where he throws up, gets rashes/hives, & wheezes, we will still avoid even if it comes up negative

Quoting Numom61507:

I know a girl who went through this twice because the results were 'inconclusive' the first time. Hopefully you have a great medical staff working on him!

Numom61507
by Tina on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:55 AM

You can also develop allergies when you get older. I got cold-weather-induced asthmatic bronchitis when I was 15. Never had a problem before then and all of a sudden my body decided to have an allergic reaction every time I went out in the snow... 

Quoting collinsmommy0:

We did it when he was 7 months old & everything came up negative even though he reacts to things. Apparently it can be inconclusive before age 3, so it's almost dumb that we are doing it when he just turned 2.....but I'd rather know if there are a few positives

And things like apple, where he throws up, gets rashes/hives, & wheezes, we will still avoid even if it comes up negative

Quoting Numom61507:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)