Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summertime and the Living is Lazy..

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

Okay, so that's not quite how the lyric goes, but bear with me.

Summer is just an odd time of year anyway, right? Schedules are off because kids are out of school, work schedules adjust accordingly, and there's all around weird stuff to take advantage of both of those. For my family, the weird stuff means later nights to take advantage of the daylight (and also the few hours that "outside" doesn't feel like the surface of the sun here in the south). Well, then, throw a newborn into the mix and we're just downright lost.

For the first month of my youngest son's life, I was up at every feeding - even if it wasn't my "turn". (From this, you probably guess correctly that we're a mostly formula family. I take a sincere bow in awe of breastfeeding moms who are the ONLY ones who have a "turn" in feeding.) I also was home alone with the baby through most of the day, and during the evenings, my husband handled mostly the older boys. Meaning that I was attached to my son almost 100% of the time as his sole caretaker. (Second bow of awe is due to Stay at Home Moms and Single Moms who do this DAILY.) I'm more in tune with a 14 hour day at the office, so this? This has been a hard juggle for me.

Aaaaaand I wasn't juggling very well, admittedly.

This past week, I've taken a different approach. Where I would normally put Vinnie down for a two hour nap in the mornings and then race around, trying to get chores done or appointments made or correspondence kept up with, I've instead taken Vinnie back to my bed. Where we napped. BOTH OF US. And y'all. Y'ALL. Oh, what a difference this makes!

Sleep: It's Important! Film at eleven.

Turns out, I'm a much better mom when I'm well-rested! WHO KNEW?

So for the last bit of my maternity leave - which is quickly dwindling down - I've made a vow. We're gonna spend the mornings being LAZY. If dishes get put off, that's okay. If an email isn't returned, that's cool. It'll all be there when I get around to it.

The last thing in the world I want is to get back to my 14 hour days and look wistfully back at this time and think, Man, did I waste that time or what?

How did you juggle your mornings with a newborn? Any hints I should know about?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loveTHEviking
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I don't have any hints to pass on.. sorry. Things weren't that difficult when we brought Thomas home everyone just kind of adjusted but I only have one other child.

TerriC
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I just went minute by minute, day by day.  I wish I had hints!  LOL!  I just tried to make sure she was fed, changed and content, so I could put her in the soothing chair so I could shower, with her in earshot of course.

sukainah
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Luckily our morning went pretty well.  My other son was not in school yet and when he went to preschool my youngest was a bit older and he didn't go until noon.  So mornings were not much of a juggle.

mrswillie
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I got mine on a scheduled as soon as possible.
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I rested when my baby rested and did the chores when I got around to it. She was on schedule as soon as we could and that helped a lot. If we had to be anywhere the next day, I made sure the diaper bag was fully packed the night before and all outfits laid out the night before too.
TigerofMu
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I think that "lazy day" mentality is fabulous! :)  I think you have the importance of sleep figured out, and napping when baby naps. 

jennibun86
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Mine slept all the time. I guess I was lucky. lol Don't worry about household stuff. If you can, get help from fam. You are fine, enjoy putting things off for once, it won't hurt you.

4kidz916
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

When my first child was born, I went back to work when she was six weeks old so my mornings were hectic.  I would give her a bath before bedtime and I always packed the diaper bag the night before. 

dusky_rose
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I tried going back to work with my youngest, but it just didn't work out.

Madelaine
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here!!

Quoting TerriC:

I just went minute by minute, day by day.  I wish I had hints!  LOL!  I just tried to make sure she was fed, changed and content, so I could put her in the soothing chair so I could shower, with her in earshot of course.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)