Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mornings While Moving

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

Because I'm clearly a masochist, we've decided to list our house.

I mean, logically, it makes sense. With baby VInnie now with us, we're seriously crowded in our home. Ideally, we'd like each of the boys to have their own spaces and we don't have that now.

Sidenote: I'm a HUGE fan of siblings sharing rooms when close in age. But our boys are at least 5 years apart, and the two that are currently sharing a room are seven years apart. I just think that's too much. /rant

So on top of 1) a newborn and 2) a kid starting kindergarten and 3) a teenager with teenager woes and worries, we've now added the drama of listing and showing our house. As you can imagine, this has knocked up the stress factor a bit.

Instead of doing the midday panic that OH NO POTENTIAL BUYERS WILL BE HERE IN FIVE MINUTES! CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!, I've tried (somewhat successfully) to spread some of that out. (That way, the panic is manageable! Sort of.)

The goal is: when everyone leaves the house for the day, have everything 98% ready as if a showing is set to happen. This means the boys have certain chores that HAVE to be done.

• Beds must be made.
  • Floors must be clean of clothes, toys, etc.
  • Towels must be hung up.
  • Bathroom surfaces must be cleared.

(Yes, even the biggest boy - my husband - has these chores as well.)

In theory, these are all very simple tasks to add to their morning routine that take 5-10 minutes to complete. And when they are completed, and I get the call that Someone's interested in seeing your house - can they stop by in ten minutes?, I can say, "Sure!" and know that a quick vacuumm and some cookies baking will have the house ready to be seen.

(The cookies are for scent purposes only, but they are a nice little bonus.)

What tips do you have for keeping a house "show ready"?

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bob192
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Sounds like a great plan!  Good luck with your house!!

johnny4ever
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Place fresh flowers

loveTHEviking
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I don't have any tips sorry. Good luck though!

Sisteract
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Baked cookies- 

The house smells good and a plate with a sign to help yourself makes your home "stand out."

GwenMB
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I have no tips since I haven't ever had to do this.

Well, my one tip is to not expect your 10 yo to know whether you should say yes or no to a closing based on the condition of your house. When I was 10, we were selling our house & the agent called to say someone would be coming for a showing.  My parents were gone, I was home with my younger siblings (I'm the oldest). I had no idea, and likely just thought a showing was a good thing.  The people didn't make it past the front door because of whatever mess - which still seems odd to me.  But I guess I look past messes a little easier - although I do still understand why you want the house looking nice.  But my mom scolded me - and I still think that was unfair.

I do think your system is a good idea, though.  It would be nice to always have that in place, too!

While I also like siblings sharing rooms (why my boys share despite us having bedroom space for them to not share), I agree that 7 years is a rather big gap for sharing.

dusky_rose
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

No tips, sorry. Sounds like you have it under control.

graycalico
by Deon on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM
The only tip I can come up with is to encourage e dry one to clean as they go. I'm constantly working on my family to do this all the time. Hope your house sells fast!
collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM
My kids will share a room....it's too expensive here to buy a bigger place.

Here - Silicon Valley - homes are always in HGTV type mode for open houses. It's crazy. Nothing.....anywhere.

DH & I decided if we end up selling we would rent a storage space for a few months, put everything we possibly can there, then live with just what we need here

But I also live in an area where houses are usually on the market for10 days or less and go for above asking price & 20+ offers.
mrswillie
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Good luck

Vertical15
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I don't know but I'm thinking this is in our near future.  Our house is technically a two bedroom.  My oldest's room is a glorified closet-the previous owners used it as an office area.  My younger two share the main bedroom and my husband and I are in the smaller of the two.  We need at least one more bedroom and ideally another bathroom.  Though something even bigger would be better because we'd love to have more children.

That being said I may need these tips! 

Our neighbors rented one of those pods to store things in so their house looked less cluttered (they also had three boys but in a three bedroom home)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)