Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Saturday Mornings Aren't What They Used to Be

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

I really and try and limit my "When I was your age.." stories. My kids would probably argue that point, but they don't know HOW GOOD THEY HAVE IT. Kids today, am I right?

First of all, my kids will never know the joy of a Saturday morning. Not because they don't have them now, but because they don't know how much we looked forward to ours. We didn't HAVE Cartoon Network On Demand, to provide you with whatever your adolescent heart desires at the push of a button. No sir, we had Saturday morning cartoons.

And we liked it that way.

They will never understand the joy of waking up HOURS earlier than you would for school, just so you can get your day started properly. Sure, Mom and Dad hated it, but I like to think that - in hindsight - we just gave them access to hours they would've slept through anyway. We GAVE them some of their life back, you know? (Sidenote: My kids? DO NOT GET ANY IDEAS.)

They will never understand the anticipation of seeing your favorite shows only once a week. Having to remember plot lines from week to week and hoping that you recalled every single detail.

They will never understand the camaraderie of everyone having only four or five channels, and therefore EVERYONE watched the same shows.

But mostly, they will never understand what horribly made cartoons we watched.

I say that last part sincerely. Because we have glorious new technology now - like Netflix or Amazon Prime or what have you - that has allowed me to go back and view the shows of my youth. And to say I was disappointed is an understatement of epic proportions.

He-Man was my ultimate fave. (Yes, I know I'm a girl. I was an early feminist.) Going and rewatching that was like a blow to the head. What a horrible cartoon! You're trying to convince me that NO ONE caught on that Prince Adam and He-Man were the same guy? He doesn't even wear a mask, y'all. The only redeeming thing I could find is that the entire cast is voiced by four people. That's impressive.. even if nothing else is.

Rainbow Brite is another one. Man, my little sister and I LOVED that show. We had all the toys and we watched the movie so many times that the VHS wore out. So I made Tony sit down with me and watch the movie. THAT WAS AN ACID TRIP. I sat through most of it wondering why in the world my parents put up with us watching that. IT IS SO WEIRD.

Don't even get me started on My Little Ponies. I have such fond, sweet memories of that show, and now the ponies are .. sexy? Or teenaged? I don't know what's happening now to the ponies, but I have to agree that the original needed some updating. Like, an overhaul of major scale. Friendship may be forever, but flying horses apparently don't age well.

This is not to say that today's lineup is Oscar-worthy, but going back and revisiting my favorite cartoons has definitely shaped my patience with Saturday mornings.

What was your favorite Saturday morning cartoon? Have you seen it as an adult?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Saturday cartoons have changed so much since I was a kid. I remember a bill is just a bill on Capitol Hill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loveTHEviking
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I loved Tom and Jerry and it's still on Cartoon Network every so often :).

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I loved Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny. My brother and I LOVED Hong Kong Phooey!!! Always getting stuck in his filing cabinet. I also looked forward to school house rock. I've bought some of them for my dd to watch with me.
GwenMB
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM

We didn't have a TV growing up, so no Saturday morning cartoons. Instead we had Saturday morning chores! We had to clean our rooms, mow the lawn (in the summer), do other cleaning around the house etc.

lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I liked Strawberry Shortcake and the Smurfs.  My dd has both on DVD.

johnny4ever
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I watch Jem!Scooby Doo!

TerriC
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I liked the Jetson's.  I still do, but don't see it often.

TerriC
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Those were my sisters favorites too!

Quoting lalasmama2007:

I liked Strawberry Shortcake and the Smurfs.  My dd has both on DVD.

.Angelica.
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

i was never into the saturday morning cartoons. i was busy playing outside. lol.

TerriC
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I remember that!!!!  =-)

Quoting mrswillie:

Saturday cartoons have changed so much since I was a kid. I remember a bill is just a bill on Capitol Hill.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN