Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Massively Pregnant in the Heat of Summer or the Chill of Winter: Which Is Worse?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

Massively Pregnant in the Heat of Summer or the Chill of Winter: Which Is Worse?

posted by Linda Sharps 

My first son was born on August 31. It was HOT. By the final weeks of my pregnancy, I was sausaged into enormous maternity sundresses that I'd once laughed at because sure, like that's EVER going to fit. Our house didn't have air conditioning and I had long surpassed that famed pregnancy "glow" for a pregnancy "all-out perspiration drench." The bones in my feet and ankles had disappeared entirely in favor of weird pillowy appendage-shapes that had the disturbing tendency to hold indentations if pressed with a morbidly curious finger.

In other words, being 80,000 months pregnant in the dog-days of summer sucked. If you'd asked me then, I would have claimed there was no way it could be less comfortable to have a baby during the dead of winter -- but then a few years later, I had my second son in February.

Now if you asked me which was worse, I'd say ... well, first I'd say what does it matter, when the joyous miracle of childbirth so thoroughly surpasses all creature comforts?

And then I'd say HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA YEAH RIGHT. I'm pretty sure every season is the worst when you're Shamu-sized and can't even lie down for half a second without being plagued by restless leg syndrome and acid reflux. Maybe spring is actually the very most difficult time, because while the world may be celebrating renewal with adorable baby lambs and unfurling flowers, you're already-congested snout is flatlined by allergies.

In my somewhat limited experience, though, the heat of summer and the cold of winter are sort of a tie in terms of pregnancy discomfort. Let's run down the suckitudes:

SUMMER:

• It's hot.
• Maternity swimsuits are straight-up depressing.
• Every single maternity shirt has a giant stupid bow on the back and it digs into your sweaty flesh whenever you sit down.
• Did I mention how hot it is?
• Daily medicinal applications of ice cream are critically necessary to survival, which is great until you give birth and you realize how much of the weight was NOT associated with the actual baby.
• One word: cankles.
• So thirsty. So much peeing.
• Another word: chafing.
• JESUS CHRIST IT'S SO HOT.

WINTER:

• It's dry.
• Maternity jeans are straight-up depressing.
• Wearing a thick coat makes you look like Violet Beauregarde after she turns into a giant blueberry.
• Slippery ice is scary as hell.
• All those clothing layers give you skin tags.
• Two words: maternity tights.
• Colds last FOREVER and you can't take any drugs that actually help.
• Daily medicinal applications of warm cookies fresh from the oven are critically necessary to survival, which is great until you give birth and you realize etc. etc. etc.
• Cabin fever is way worse when you're the size of an actual cabin.

On the plus sides, flip-flops are awesome in the summer, and having a built-in heater is handy in the winter. But really, by the time you're in the final stretch of pregnancy, everything's a little rocky, no matter what time of year it might happen to be. The good news is that the end is in sight, and babies -- despite the myriad ass-pains they cause once they're on the outside of your body -- really are worth all the hassle.

Which do you think is harder for when you're super pregnant and ready to pop: summer or winter?

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frillyflower
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Been "massively pregnant" twice in the winter, twice in the summer. Summer is so much worse, hands down.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Summer is worse in my opinion. You can only get so undressed to be cool! I had one and one and winter was a piece of cake compared to summer.

EthansMomma2010
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I loved my maternity jeans so I chose winter. Though I've only actually done summer so my opinion doesn't count.
collinsmommy0
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Summer is worse, I'm massively pregnant now & it's too hot to do anything but sit in the pool.

Although, the advantage of summer is that you have the option to go sit in a pool!

And after, I like to do a lot of skin to skin with baby in the first few weeks to help establish nursing. The winter is too cold for that!
graycalico
by Deon on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Summer is awful! The swelling and sweating.
tami888
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 4:55 AM

I had three kids.

One in January - piece of cake, except for the heartburn caused by baby that was increased by holiday foods. 

The next in April - the very BEST time to have a baby, hands down!! Perfect weather to bring baby home and be able to sit outside and be comfortable.

And last, but certainly NOT least, came my August baby.  AARRGGHH!!!  The hot summer months are the absolute WORST of the WORST to be as big as a house.  There is only so much you can take off - at least in the winter, if you're cold you can put on a sweater or a blanket but seriously, you can only get so naked!

pregnant belly

~t*)

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jul. 28, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I think summer would be much worse!

Numom61507
by Tina on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Summer is worse. When I went into the hospital to have my daughter, it was in the middle of a heatwave. I sat 3 feet from my AC unit for 3 days beforehand. Brutal!

loveTHEviking
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I've been hugely pregnant in the Summer and in the Winter. Summer was uncomfortable but it wasn't terriable. Winter wasn't bad at all.

RelaxedMom2-3
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I have done both. I would have to say summer is much worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)