Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Counting Down to Kindergarten

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

I really believed that I would be okay with my (now middle) baby starting kindergarten this year, but I'm finding myself more and more emotional about it.

He starts on the 19th of August, which is circled on our family calendar in bright colors. This is as much for him to start getting about it as it is for me to make my peace with it. In July? In July, I was fine. I was excited for him, even. But then we started inching closer to him starting and.. gah, now I'm pretty emotional about it. Have I mentioned being emotional? I feel like I'm EMOTIONAL.

But not, like, Whitney Houston emotional. When Whitney sings, "I get so emotional, baby," you get the impression that it's a good feeling she's having. Mine is likened to having a piece of your intestine slowly eaten away. You feel empty, but you don't know why.

(Due to the now 2 month old, I am also sleep deprived. Connection? NAAAHHH.)

Our mornings will soon be very different as a result. While we've had a pretty good schedule for the past year - and now he's self-sufficient enough that it runs like clockwork - and we had a slight wrench thrown in with an infant who is COMPLETELY selfish in his need for his own schedule. (.. I kid.) But when he starts school, mornings will start a full hour earlier to give everyone enough time to get ready.

And, of course, I cannot judge because I am already heading to work when they all will be waking up.

Next week is a "trial run" week, when my husband will get the boys ready as if they're heading to school. (Since two of them are still in daycare, they can technically get up and make it out the door with a purpose.) This will result in crazy cranky kids, tired and grumpy when they get home. But I'm hoping that an extra week will drive out the kinks before the official start of school, and maybe they'll have adjusted to a new bedtime as well.

... apparently, I am able to sidestep the emotional by focusing on routine. BREAKTHROUGH.

He's just getting so big, so fast. Just yesterday, I dropped him off at daycare. He helped me get the baby settled into his classroom, and then we went to the pre-K room. I opened my arms wide for a hug, and he stepped back from me.

"Hug me over here, Mom," he said.

I realized his friends could see us where I was.

He didn't want his friends to see him hug me.

The hardest part of love is letting go.

What's a good idea to do for his first morning of school? Is there a fancy, first day of school breakfast tradition at your house?

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I'd give him his favorite breakfast (making sure it has the energy to get him to snack time).

My oldest started k last year. It was so much fun! He let me hug him in front of his classmates every day all year.

shajdinyak
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:18 AM
My dd is starting kindergarten too:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Not a special breakfast, we don't have time for that in the morning but I make 1 of her favorite dinners and we have cake. I always take pictures in the morning.

johnny4ever
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I alwasy made a sweet note in school lunch and special treat first week of school at home 

TerriC
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM

My girls are going into 3rd and 4th and it is killing me.  They are growing up so fast.  The 1st day of school, I try to make fun, they are already dreading it, so I will really go for the gusto this year.  Wake them up with a made up song and dance and make them the breakfast of their choice.  I will also let them help make their lunches, which they loved to do last year, so we shall see.

TerriC
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I do the pictures every day.  It started out as a plan to show DD 1 just how many clothes she "didn't" have...lol.  So, since the 1st day of K for both girls, I have taken a pic of them in the same spot every school day.  I wonder how long they will let me get away with that!!  LOL

Quoting goddess99:

Not a special breakfast, we don't have time for that in the morning but I make 1 of her favorite dinners and we have cake. I always take pictures in the morning.

Wish2Be
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM
My little guy will be in preschool next year and I am sure its going top be similar for me too. Hugs.
goddess99
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting TerriC:

I do the pictures every day.  It started out as a plan to show DD 1 just how many clothes she "didn't" have...lol.  So, since the 1st day of K for both girls, I have taken a pic of them in the same spot every school day.  I wonder how long they will let me get away with that!!  LOL

Quoting goddess99:

Great idea!!
TerriC
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

It drives them crazy (LOL) but kind of like our little tradition now.  =-)

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting TerriC:

Quoting goddess99:

Great idea!!

RobynS
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM

We don't really have a special breakfast for the first day of school, but I serve chocolate chip pancakes at least once a week (no syrup) and I like to make those ahead of time for a quick breakfast on busy mornings. That will prob be our 'first day of school' breakfast. :) The kids both eat them relatively quickly, too. (DD tends to dilly-dally, but she does pretty well with pancakes)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)