Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter isn't going to have a 1st birthday party....

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 24 Replies

And I feel bad about it.

And I also feel bad about feeling bad.

It's a TRADITION. It's fun. It's messy. And my boys were celebrated in that way.....and it hurts that she's not going to get to.

On the other hand, the reason I had to cancel. My grandma has been in the hospital all week. They sent her to a bigger hospital. She was supposed to have surgery today.....it couldn't happen. She's not strong enough. They've been trying to find a way around it all week, but they can't.

She has a 50/50 chance of making it through surgery. But if they don't do it at all....she won't live. I feel HORRIBLE for feeling bad about this.

She'll be having the surgery tomorrow. Saturday was supposed to be Christlynn's first birthday party.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IncognitoOne
by Angela on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Even worse. I have a cousin out of state....and I can't make myself tell her how bad the situation actually is.

kailu1835
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Celebrate late.
IncognitoOne
by Angela on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM

It's already late. The party was supposed to be on the 24th originally. I've rescheduled it to this weekend, and now this. I may reschedule again, but the next couple of weeks are NOT good for partying.

Quoting kailu1835:

Celebrate late.

collinsmommy0
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I'm sorry.

I would do it a month or so after everything quiets down. It's not a big deal is she's 14 months old instead of 12 months.
terpmama
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Hugs! 

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM

It doesn't seem like it'll be as much fun. The older they get, the less cute it is that they're throwing food everywhere and covered in hard-to-clean cake icing.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I'm sorry.

I would do it a month or so after everything quiets down. It's not a big deal is she's 14 months old instead of 12 months.

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Thank you.

Quoting terpmama:

Hugs! 

justahousewife
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Maybe celebrating life would be a plus. One of my aunts was finally sent home to die because she was no longer strong enough to make it through surgery. All my family came and we had a funeral for her while she was still living. She was in good spirits and yes it was sad but we celebrated the time she had. Sometimes we get focused on death that we forget that there was a lot of life before that. And no better way to celebrate life than letting a 1yo tear into a cake. Just a thought. Take the cake to the hospital if she's conscious, she might enjoy seeing it too. 

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM

She is conscious. But we don't know how things will go. Surgery is first thing tomorrow morning.

We're going to visit with her tonight. The hospital has oked it for the little kids to be there, and are going to remove the cords and monitors right before we get there for a little while so that the little ones only see Memaw. But I don't think they'll let cake (or any food) in the room.

Quoting justahousewife:

Maybe celebrating life would be a plus. One of my aunts was finally sent home to die because she was no longer strong enough to make it through surgery. All my family came and we had a funeral for her while she was still living. She was in good spirits and yes it was sad but we celebrated the time she had. Sometimes we get focused on death that we forget that there was a lot of life before that. And no better way to celebrate life than letting a 1yo tear into a cake. Just a thought. Take the cake to the hospital if she's conscious, she might enjoy seeing it too. 

kailu1835
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Its okay if ita a month or two late. Its more for the family than for her anyway, and she won't remember it.

I'm sorry about your grandmas health 😞

Quoting IncognitoOne:

It's already late. The party was supposed to be on the 24th originally. I've rescheduled it to this weekend, and now this. I may reschedule again, but the next couple of weeks are NOT good for partying.

Quoting kailu1835:

Celebrate late.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)