Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mod Podge Canvas Art

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 220 Total Views

Supplies needed:
Canvas–8×10 or 11×14 are nice sizes (purchase at craft store with coupon)
Scrapbook papers
Scrapbook embellishments (optional…but fun!)
Mod Podge
Mod Podge applicator (sponge brush shown, but use what you prefer!)
Elmer’s Glue
Scissors
As you will see later in the post, you can create any design you want for this project, but I will walk you through a monogram letter.  

Print out your letter using Microsoft Word and a cute font.  I do not own a Cricut machine, but if you do, by all means, use it to cut out your letter! 
You can see above a few (of many) enlargements I made of the letter “A.”  When it is the perfect size for the canvas you are using, carefully cut the letter out.  This “A” was for an 8×10 canvas.
Turn your scrapbook paper over, front design facing down.  Turn the letter over, also facing down, and lightly tape it to the backside of the paper in for tracing.  
Trace the letter onto the backside of the paper, and carefully cut it out.  
Before securing with Mod Podge, decide on the placement of your letter or other designs on the canvas.

You are now ready to Mod Podge your letter onto the canvas!
 First, Mod Podge the back of the letter, flip it back over, and carefully position the letter where you want it on the canvas.  Mod Podge the entire surface of the canvas and letter.  

For this particular project, I purchased two coordinating papers and cut out a few flowers to scatter around the “A.”
For any additions, like these flowers, Mod Podge the back of each piece, place in the desired position on the canvas, and after each new piece is in place, Mod Podge the entire canvas again. 
Lightly press the letter and other pieces with your fingers to seal the edges.  
You may see bubbles in the paper, as seen above.  No worries!  These will magically disappear as the Mod Podge dries!
Optional…using Elmer’s glue, glue scrapbook embellishments to add a little zing to your project!  (I’ll show you another example of these additions in another project below).
Finished product!  This “A” went to a special neighbor for her birthday from Maddie.
And a fun “S” we made for a friend, Sidney.
All wrapped up for her birthday present.
These Christmas trees are my favorite!  My original post and tutorial for this exact project is over at Arkansas Women Bloggers.
Here, you can see the use of different scrapbook embellishments and ric rac to add a little sparkle!
Just an FYI on papers with glitter…Mod Podge application will spread the glitter onto the canvas.  It did not bother me because it actually gave it a little more sparkle.   It feels all kind a wrong wiping glue over pretty paper, but I promise it will dry and come back to its original life!
The possibilities for color, style, and theme are endless with this simple DIY project!  Hearts for Valentine’s, a cross or eggs for Easter, pumpkins for fall, and so much more!  
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I love that idea too :)

aneela
by Group Owner on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

pretty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)