Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

December Chat Thread

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM
  • 103 Replies
  • 707 Total Views

Everyone getting ready for Christmas? What's your favourite part of the month? Any traditions for Christmas Eve/Day?

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harknessangels
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I can't believe it is December! The years are definitely flying by!  I was able to do a bit of online shopping this weekend. I need to clean out the corner where the tree is going to go and start wrapping. I am thinking after this coming week since we have quite a few things going on.

I enjoy seeing my out of state family. We usually only get together a few times a year, so it is so nice to spend time together during the holidays. On Christmas Eve we go to service and then our usual Christmas Day tradition is having Christmas here in the morning and then heading to my MILs for the afternoon and then off to dessert with the family who has adopted us into theirs. Busy, but especially joyful.

mum.becca
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I have my nativity sets out, but that's it for decorations so far. Will take it easy since we're not getting a tree until mid-month, anyway. (The boys want to go chop one down, so hooray for a little less hassle with tree lots! Last year they had problems staffing the lot and we ended up getting ours from a small selection left outside the gate. Nice to have a free one, but it was a bit sad in terms of quality. LOL)

I did get to see my first Christmas movie on Thanksgiving Day. NBC used to show Miracle on 34th St following the parade, but now it's the dog show. I saw the dog show and then the movie in the evening with the family. :)

Also listened to Christmas music starting with the 29th, when I had a quick trip across the Canada-US border at Boundary, WA - to pick up my new Nook! :D I put a couple other CDs in the stereo at home and it has a tape deck for the older collection. ;)

mum.becca
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

My favourite part of the month is usually Christmas Eve and Day, but I'm participating in an advent study again this year (and posted Ann Voskamp's Advent video on my blog) so I hope the days leading up to the holiday will feel special as well. I like to do some baking and hope that the doc okays me to be on my feet enough, as I'm still a bit concerned about the clot I have (though I suspect it's a surface vein and not as bad as one in a deep vein) and finding myself having to rest so much to keep away the pain.

We also have Ben's birthday to celebrate on Tuesday, so there will be some fun that day! :)

mum.becca
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Christmas Eve traditions for us: driving around to look at Christmas lights (may phase that out if weather conspires against us or the boys start going on village tours set up earlier in the month) and opening one present before the kids' bedtime. (I still do this even though I'm definitely old enough to wait, hee hee.) We also play a certain song to get the kids to bed, something my parents started when I was young. I also replay the song for myself - young at heart! ;)

For Christmas Day, stockings and then breakfast before opening our presents. The ILs often come to see us for a bit with more gifts, then go home to put their turkey in the oven while the rest of us eat lunch. If we're not too tired from waking early, we'll watch a family movie while cooking the turkey. Then it's the big meal, potentially another movie or Christmas specials.

On the 26th, Boxing Day here, it's family-visiting day for my side. We used to take the trip to see my mum's dad across one of the local lakes before he moved to the city at the end of that lake (for better hospital access). It always felt like second Christmas because we'd have a small gift exchange there most years. Sometimes we still do that with the family now that he's gone - not worry too much about getting gifts to everyone before the 26th because we'll all be together then.

We always have a quiet New Year's Eve at home with movies and the ball dropping in New York (at 9 pm Pacific if the boys are attempting to stay up late, thanks to satellite timeshifting).

mum.becca
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Quoting harknessangels:

I can't believe it is December! The years are definitely flying by!  I was able to do a bit of online shopping this weekend. I need to clean out the corner where the tree is going to go and start wrapping. I am thinking after this coming week since we have quite a few things going on.

I enjoy seeing my out of state family. We usually only get together a few times a year, so it is so nice to spend time together during the holidays. On Christmas Eve we go to service and then our usual Christmas Day tradition is having Christmas here in the morning and then heading to my MILs for the afternoon and then off to dessert with the family who has adopted us into theirs. Busy, but especially joyful.

I did some online shopping on Friday and found deals when I had only planned to browse at one specific site. Got something for everyone in the family! A book order will be in at the school soon as well. Now it's just stocking stuffers and I'd like to pick up basic scrapbooks for the boys to fill out and maybe get into photography themselves. Hubby plans to get them something outdoorsy. We're not buying the usual toys for them since they have fall birthdays and far too many toys as it is!

I miss Christmas Eve service! My church doesn't do one, but I think if we drove about 5 mins, there's a big church that would work for that purpose. I've always been curious about it, but when we can walk to our church... Anyway, I think we should change up our Christmas Eve traditions and do the lights another time so we have plenty of time for the service. Guess it depends how late it is because that might not work for Baby for a few years... Something to think about, anyway.

mum.becca
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Ben was sick yesterday, so I wasn't planning on church today just in case he has something he would spread. (He didn't eat much so far, so even though he appears very active and normal, it may take a little bit to recuperate.) We got out before lunchtime to shovel last night's snow (though I wasn't very helpful today) and make a snowman with a neighbour boy. The boys had more fun destroying the snowman shortly after it was done than they did building it, hee hee. I had to bail once it was time for the carrot nose, ankle and legs too unhappy. Apparently Tas stole the nose once the boys jumped all over the snowman and broke it. He gets all energetic in the snow, so I think it's been a good day for him. (He also got a truck ride when we found we were out of hot dog buns and had already promised the boys, including the neighbour kid, hot dogs for lunch.)

I should see if there's laundry to do, then heat up a bag for my ankle. (I have one Magic Bag, filled with oat grains apparently, and my mum lent me one as well. Nice that hers is shaped for the neck and mine is a large stubby rectangle, so I don't get them confused.)

mum.becca
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM

(I forgot, I do have more Christmas items out for display: snow globes, only out for this month; and two advent calendars! No wonder I'm on the ball realising it's December, hee hee.)

kary29
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Hi from New Orleans.  I'm tagging along on dh's business trip until Wed night.  We ate lunch in the French Quarter today and walked around, it was fun.  In the 70's here this week.

We did get outside Christmas lights up before we left.  A lighted wreath on the front circle top window, white lights on some shrubs, and 3 spiral lighted trees in the flowerbed out by the road.

Will check back when I can.

harknessangels
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Hi Becca~you have some wonderful family traditions!  Yay for the online shopping!  Hope Ben is feeling better!  B collects snowglobes...she has always loved them!

Hi Karyn! Woohoo for being in New Orleans and the weather sounds gorgeous! Have fun! 

harknessangels
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Happy Monday! It seems B and I are feeling yucky with a virus, so we couldn't go feed the horses this morning. I miss them when we can't be there. Hoping to go later in the week for a few hours. The weather is supposed to warm up this week. I have lots of outdoor things that need to be done, so I need to get better, so I can take care of them when the weather is mild.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN