Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I encourage my daughter ...

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:28 AM
  • 7 Replies
My DD is 11 she is a heavier set girl like myself. She has come home from school before sad about her weight and I always tell her that beauty comes in all sizes and she's very beautiful no matter what. I also tell her that being healthy is a great idea for anyone and give her tips on healthier living such as intake of more water and fruits and veggies.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
momofsixangels
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

old dd is overweight too. She has come home crying so many times because of rude remarks from kids and even adults. She has health issues .Makes me so angry. I always tell her its b/c they are jealous of what a beautiful heart she has

kirbymom
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM
My oldest is also a bit on the heavy side and has come home crying because of some remarks to her about it. She had such a tough time for so long but now she realizes that not everyone is going to be the same weight and size and that her real friends will not care if she is a bit heavy. She runs to stay fit and eats to maintain energy and health and now sees that those kids were just that, kids.
robyann
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I agree, it is very important to give our dd's a good body image. Not let them think that everyone has to be stick thin. My dd is at the opposite of your's. She is very petite. She only weighs 90lbs. I was the same way and I remember being so self conscience about being so small and not having "boobs". We have talked about these things since she was younger, I knew she was going to be small built. We talk about being healthy, it's not about weight it's about exercise and eating healthy. You can't change the basic build of your body. She is way more adjusted about her body then I was. 

Emeraldmama7
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM

It's great that you offer ways to stay healthy and eat right AND tell her she is beautiful for who she is- and that will show everyone else her true beauty.  I don't care if someone is a perfect 10 in looks and weight- if she has an ugly soul, nobody will like her. 

I have 4 daughters and they all have VERY different body types.  It gave me the perfect opportunity to talk about how special and different each of them are, how there is someone out there that will love them for who they are- inside and out, and to appreciate their beauty and flaws together.

What is more difficult though is to model this for my daughters.  My mom was always very proud of her body- small chest, but larger bottom....and always told me to love who I am and I still struggled.   I think it's always something women will struggle with at some point in their lives- but hopefully we can help guide our daughters through open dialogue and love and support.

Jessa, mama to:

Alyssa(11), Autumn(10), Mariah(9), Matthew(9), Blake(7), Laila(3), Athena(10 mo), Sage(m/c 4/13), and our newest EDD 03/20/14!!!

Emeraldmama7
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Well, I have 5 daughters...but the baby doesn't count in this discussion yet!  lol

momofsixangels
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

My oldest is also a bit on the heavy side and has come home crying because of some remarks to her about it. She had such a tough time for so long but now she realizes that not everyone is going to be the same weight and size and that her real friends will not care if she is a bit heavy. She runs to stay fit and eats to maintain energy and health and now sees that those kids were just that, kids.

I had a witch of a neighbor )yes a mom!) call my dd a fat a##. Talk about mama bear coming out.I wanted to rip her a new one.But I didnt.I wanted to show my dd that I was better then that.But deep down I wanted to kick her butt.lol

kirbymom
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Oh I know what you mean. It's bad enough that kids can be a little vicious but for an adult to behave that way just gets my ire up. But, like you, I want my daughter to see her mother being the adult who remains in control.

Quoting momofsixangels:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)