Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News of the Week ~ Dec 30 2013

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 239 Total Views
1 mom liked this

News Of The Week!

It's been a crazy week, up here in Ontario Canada we had an ice storm which knocked out hundreds of power lines, and left around 350,000 homes without power. It started on Friday the 20th, and there are still around 5500 homes in Toronto without power. Luckily we only lost power for 17 hours, but we were still in panic mode not knowing when it would be back. As an autism mom, keeping to routine is pretty important. I don't know how many times we had to explain that we could not watch the Wiggles Christmas, lol. Doing the special diet is nearly impossible without power too. I rigged up a makeshift stove from 10 tea lights, tinfoil and a stand from a fondue pot to cook an SCD pancake for Violet, and some almond flour hot cereal. Lordy, what a hassle. There was not a bag of salt, propane heater, camping cooker or anything of the sort to be found in this area. I wish we had bought that barbecue. We were fortunate, the power returned for us that evening, and we got to have an awesome Christmas at home in the warmth. What I learned from this is to be prepared! I will certainly pick up those camping essentials, and maybe even a generator in case these kind of situations arise again. ~Robyn

Omega-3 dietary supplements pass blood-brain barrier

Cell Phone Use Linked to Lower Grades and Anxiety

Autism’s forgotten female population - The Globe and Mail

The benefits of Probiotics

Public isn't buying lamestream media's contrived attack on multivitamins

"You Are What Your Father Eats," According to a New Study | Care2 Causes

Ultrasounds and Autism: Radio Interview with Manuel Casanova, MD on Fearless Medicine | The Thinking Moms' Revolution

Top 3 Foods to Fight Inflammation

Brain gym – simple exercises for a better mind and body |

Homeopathy for Influenza

Is it CAPD or ADHD?

Cleansing the Body of Parasites »

▶ What Causes Autism?: The Role of Environmental Exposures - YouTube

Researchers Find Earliest Sign That A Child Might Develop Autism « CBS New York

Fermenting Foods: Easiest Way of Making Food From Scratch

Age of Autism Presents: Top Autism Stories of 2013

Strontium, PFOA and toxic chemicals found in one-third of U.S. water supply

A potential breakthrough for children with allergies.

Dan Aykroyd – the latest celebrity to come out of the ASD closet.

Happy New Year Everybody!!

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
JeffysGreenMom
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM

I hear you. We're in southern Ontario also and, knowing the bad weather was coming, I cooked up a storm of SCD compliant food before it hit. We have a generator, so it kept the house warm, fridge and freezer cold, and allowed us to reheat the stuff I'd already cooked. We were only without power from late Saturday night until early Monday morning. Jeffy thought doing everything by flashlight in the evening was pretty funny. 

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn *Group Owner* on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Hey! Fellow Canadian, awesome. Where in Ontario are you? Our DAN doctor is in Burlington, we're in Port Hope about an hour east of Toronto.

That's lucky you had a generator, my Dad lives near Guelph and his power was out for 4 days, luckily he had a generator too. This weather is THE PITS.

Quoting JeffysGreenMom:

I hear you. We're in southern Ontario also and, knowing the bad weather was coming, I cooked up a storm of SCD compliant food before it hit. We have a generator, so it kept the house warm, fridge and freezer cold, and allowed us to reheat the stuff I'd already cooked. We were only without power from late Saturday night until early Monday morning. Jeffy thought doing everything by flashlight in the evening was pretty funny. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)