Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DS is stemming a lot more lately..... Supplements!?!?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 319 Total Views

Sorry moms I have been having a lot of questions about supplements... Ok so good news is we're finaly taking supplements regularly with a syringe and I have been rewarding him with a gfcf chocolate and he will even open his mouth so I can give him the supplements... I have seen tho that his hand flapping it's getting out of control or he will look objects from the corner of the eye, he's stemming all the time.. He's not sleeping good anymore he will go to bed at 10pm or latter and then wake up at 2am he'll stay wake until 5 or 6am and then fall back asleep until 8am and then he takes a 4 hour nap during the day he was waking up before during the night but he wasn't staying more than one hour awake, so do you think this has anything to do with the supplements? Has anyone of you had any of these problems with your kiddos when you started supplements or no? I asked his DAN and she told me it will get little bit worse right now and then it will get better... Do you think I should call his doctor again or wait for our next appointment which is not until the end of March... Thank you so much moms you have been a great support :)

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KatyTylersMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:58 PM

How long have you been on the supplements and how long as the increase in stimming been going on?  And has anything else changed in that time period? 

So I can only speak from my own experience - my kids are not stimmers.  They just don't do it.  But if either of them ever has trouble sleeping it's b/c of parasites/infections.  With my son it's ALWAYS yeast.  ALWAYS.  If that boy is ever up in the middle of the night I can guarantee you he's got a yeast overgrowth kicking in his guts.  For my daughter it's viruses - if her viral load gets high then she is IRRITABLE and just a real bear to deal with.  In terms of the effects of supplements, some supplements are designed to change the balance of bacteria etc. in the gut and you may just be seeing the result of die-off or a new bacteria gaining ground.  Without knowing what he's taking and what may have been added recently it's hard to say but your DAN! doctor hopefully knows!   

That being said, every kid is different.  You might try some melatonin right before bedtime (when you WANT it to be bedtime, not when he's been falling asleep) and then really try to not let him have that nap or keep it to an hour max to try to force his sleep schedule back into a fully nighttime cycle. 

emily123380
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

How long have you been on the supplements and how long as the increase in stimming been going on?  And has anything else changed in that time period? 

So I can only speak from my own experience - my kids are not stimmers.  They just don't do it.  But if either of them ever has trouble sleeping it's b/c of parasites/infections.  With my son it's ALWAYS yeast.  ALWAYS.  If that boy is ever up in the middle of the night I can guarantee you he's got a yeast overgrowth kicking in his guts.  For my daughter it's viruses - if her viral load gets high then she is IRRITABLE and just a real bear to deal with.  In terms of the effects of supplements, some supplements are designed to change the balance of bacteria etc. in the gut and you may just be seeing the result of die-off or a new bacteria gaining ground.  Without knowing what he's taking and what may have been added recently it's hard to say but your DAN! doctor hopefully knows!   

That being said, every kid is different.  You might try some melatonin right before bedtime (when you WANT it to be bedtime, not when he's been falling asleep) and then really try to not let him have that nap or keep it to an hour max to try to force his sleep schedule back into a fully nighttime cycle. 

Thank you.... He does has a yeast overgrowth but didn't show this many problems before... Nothing else has changed the stemming started like 3 days after I started giving him carnatine, acylcarnitine, calm g, vitamin c, orthobiotic the only think that I think of it may be either yeast or b/c he's taking a lot of carnatine...I actually tried camomile tea last night I put little bit of milk in there too b/c as soon as he saw the color was different he didn't want it, he drank it after that so he slept all night thrue even right now he seams little bit more calm... I just hope it's not parasites, I did have parasites ( like the little one) when I was little  does that mean he might have them too? I remember my mom giving me medication about it... Do you think I should make a earlier appointment with his DAN doctor she knows about stemming but not about sleeping b/c the sleeping issues started little bit later than stemming.... You guys know a lot of things I have a lot more to learn I'm trying to read as much books as I can but with two little babies it's hard to have any time left... Thank you so much again

KatyTylersMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd tell your DAN doctor about all the new developments and see what he/she says.  It could just all be due to yeast dying off, it could be something else.  I know our DAN! doctor mostly feels that with any new supplement/treatment we should give it a month and then see how we feel it has helped or not helped.  The first few weeks might show huge improvements, problems, or nothing at all.  But yeah, I'd call the doctor give them the whole picture and get some sort of timeline - like if it hasn't gotten better or if it gets at all worse then BAM call and come in for an appointment. 

Quoting emily123380:

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Thank you.... He does has a yeast overgrowth but didn't show this many problems before... Nothing else has changed the stemming started like 3 days after I started giving him carnatine, acylcarnitine, calm g, vitamin c, orthobiotic the only think that I think of it may be either yeast or b/c he's taking a lot of carnatine...I actually tried camomile tea last night I put little bit of milk in there too b/c as soon as he saw the color was different he didn't want it, he drank it after that so he slept all night thrue even right now he seams little bit more calm... I just hope it's not parasites, I did have parasites ( like the little one) when I was little  does that mean he might have them too? I remember my mom giving me medication about it... Do you think I should make a earlier appointment with his DAN doctor she knows about stemming but not about sleeping b/c the sleeping issues started little bit later than stemming.... You guys know a lot of things I have a lot more to learn I'm trying to read as much books as I can but with two little babies it's hard to have any time left... Thank you so much again

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn *Group Owner* on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Stimming for us was major while Violet was still eating gluten and dairy, it got worse for a while as we were cleaning up the gut, and started probiotics (die-off) and she doesn't stim much at all now. Sleep was a major issue for us until Violet started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. If your son is having chocolate, this is feeding the yeast. Milk is also a problem with sleep sometimes because it can cause reflux, which wakes them up. The SC diet will combat yeast by starving it. No grains, no dairy, no starch, no sugar (all things that feed yeast). For us, at least, the GFCF was not enough and we had to take it further & do SCD. It's been steady progress, and better and better sleep habits ever since.

emily123380
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM
I know I reed about that diet when you posted in here it makes sense but I just feel so bad for him to take out of his diet the other grains too that means he's going to eat only meats, veggies and fruits... And I just found a way to give him supplements with the chocolate lol again it seems like we have to try something else too....hopefully will get better if it doesn't then we'll give the scd a try... Thank you so much :)

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Stimming for us was major while Violet was still eating gluten and dairy, it got worse for a while as we were cleaning up the gut, and started probiotics (die-off) and she doesn't stim much at all now. Sleep was a major issue for us until Violet started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. If your son is having chocolate, this is feeding the yeast. Milk is also a problem with sleep sometimes because it can cause reflux, which wakes them up. The SC diet will combat yeast by starving it. No grains, no dairy, no starch, no sugar (all things that feed yeast). For us, at least, the GFCF was not enough and we had to take it further & do SCD. It's been steady progress, and better and better sleep habits ever since.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn *Group Owner* on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I totally understand, and no pressure! Just want to mention, you can also have stuff baked from almond flour or coconut flour, and replace sugar with honey on the SCD. It's not like there is no indulgences, they're just made in a different way. It's not that bad, its like anything, you do adapt eventually. Just file it in the back of your mind, and if things don't improve then give it a try :) 

It seemed so overwhelming at first, but when behavior, sleep, happiness, confidence and overall health improved, and the social, verbal and emotional stuff got better too, its made life so much easier in general. I can't imagine not feeding Violet this way now. For us, its made such a difference.

Quoting emily123380: I know I reed about that diet when you posted in here it makes sense but I just feel so bad for him to take out of his diet the other grains too that means he's going to eat only meats, veggies and fruits... And I just found a way to give him supplements with the chocolate lol again it seems like we have to try something else too....hopefully will get better if it doesn't then we'll give the scd a try... Thank you so much :)

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

emily123380
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:32 AM

I have been thinking about it a lot I even started to give him chicken soup for three days he ate two days and then didn't wanted anymore, I'm so glad that it's working for Violet probably we'll start it too if we don't see any good improvements soon...

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

I totally understand, and no pressure! Just want to mention, you can also have stuff baked from almond flour or coconut flour, and replace sugar with honey on the SCD. It's not like there is no indulgences, they're just made in a different way. It's not that bad, its like anything, you do adapt eventually. Just file it in the back of your mind, and if things don't improve then give it a try :) 

It seemed so overwhelming at first, but when behavior, sleep, happiness, confidence and overall health improved, and the social, verbal and emotional stuff got better too, its made life so much easier in general. I can't imagine not feeding Violet this way now. For us, its made such a difference.

Quoting emily123380: I know I reed about that diet when you posted in here it makes sense but I just feel so bad for him to take out of his diet the other grains too that means he's going to eat only meats, veggies and fruits... And I just found a way to give him supplements with the chocolate lol again it seems like we have to try something else too....hopefully will get better if it doesn't then we'll give the scd a try... Thank you so much :)

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)