Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not really a new memeber

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 6:15 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 265 Total Views

I may be new to CafeMom but I am not new to CF.  My 19-year old son, John, was diagnosed at ten months after suffering from failure to thrive.  He is doing very well compared to some CFers I’ve met.  John is intelligent, compassionate, funny, and very likable.  He enjoys hanging out with his many, many friends. He loves reading, paint balling, rock climbing, gaming, and has a strong passion for music.  He absolutely despise being in the hospital.  He has worked as a server, an electronic salesperson, and now delivers pizza for Pizza Hut and absolutely loves it!  We have dealt with many different issues and I don’t mind answering questions.  John has a half-sister who does not have CF.  Below is a picture of John and his sister, Krystal, taken Septmeber 2006.

by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
shelly43
by Member on Jul. 15, 2007 at 10:50 AM
Hello,
   I'm so glad to see how well your son looks, I'm always so scared of what the future holds for my son now 8. How did you handle the teenage years? I've heard so many nightmare stories of CF kids rebelling and refusing to do meds, take up smoking, ect.. My Non CF daughter is 13 and rebelling big time. She moved in with her father and he lets her get away with way too much.
  I'm afraid my son will do the same, and since his father doesn't make him do his meds now what would happen to him then. I've thought about getting my son to talk to a counselor now to help ease into the teen years, but the one therapist I know and trust in the area is going to retire and insurance won't cover him anyways. Did you have a counselor? Do you think it's a good idea?
   Did you ever have trouble between the kids? My daughter is jealous of all the time I spend on Collin. We play games and watch movies together while he does treatments. She's welcome to play also but always refuses, and says I don't have any time for her. So frustrating, I've been told to have her help with his meds so she wouldn't feel left out. But I don't want her to feel responsible when he's ill either. Lead me any advice you can, I'm stuck out on a limb and don't know which way to turn!  Shelly
Gabeandcalebsmo
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 4:50 PM
He looks so healthy, If I passed him in the streets I wouldn't even think he had CF. Which I usually see people that are rail thin or have a look to them and always wonder if they have CF
mommy2TZK
by Group Owner on Jul. 20, 2007 at 2:33 AM

Hi Merci. I am sorry I haven't welcomed you sooner. my comp is at the drs (LOL) getting fixed.

Your  son looks so great. Seeing the older kids, and adults doing  as good as he is makes me feel good and gives me hope for my son. He is only 6 and wasn't diagnosed till he was 26 months old.

I am rooting for John to stay healthy for a long time to come.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)