Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Snow Days

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 248 Total Views
I know everyone does not live where it snows so this is for those that do. Does your school schedule in so many snow days or not? Have you used any yet?
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tramcd
by Owner - Tracy on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Our school does not so we have to make each one up. So far we have used 3 days. The kids have not been to school since Dec. 19th.
Sillieguze
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Today is our 3rd snow day in a row. We also had one in Dec, so we've had 4 days total. Our district does not build in any days. They just add them on to the end of the year.
huskermom98
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I don't think we have any snow days built in this year which really sucks because they have to make up any days at the end of the year; and our district is the last to get out already (we go 3 days past Memorial Day weekend while everyone else in the metro area gets out before).  Last year the kids were supposed to have MLKJr. Day and Pres. Day off, but only if they did not have any snow days beforehand...well, the last two days before Winter Break were called off because of a huge snow storm.  When people realized the kids would have to go to school on those two days a handful of high school students fought the school board because they had planned to do some MLK day projects.  Ok, that's fine if they want to, but honestly the VAST majority of the district kids would not be doing anything so they might as well be in school.  I will admit that these kids went about it the correct and civil way, but that meant my son had to go an extra two days in May...luckily they had another snow day in February otherwise they would have ended the year on a Monday morning because the last day is always a very short day...so at least this way they ended on a Tuesday.

The other reason it irritates me is that about 4 years ago we had a horrendous winter and the district cancelled school at least 10 days.  They extended the year as long as possible, but still ended up extending the school day 30 minutes for the last 2 months...yet they are now to the point where there are no days built in...

aj23
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM

The school day is 30 mins longer than required to build 9 snow days into the calender. After 9 they start taking away holiday days then spring break and then they go on Saturdays or extend the school year. They haven't went on Saturdays or extended the year since 1995. It's rare to use all the days. 

This year they've already used 5 though. One was because of flooding and the last 4 are from snow this week. The snow has already melted and is clear in town but we live at the bottom of the mountain the roads on it are really shaded so they take longer to melt plus they refreeze once they do melt which is the problem now, there's still too much ice for the buses to drive on them.  

tinkerbear02
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:00 PM

We have two days built in. As of right now we have had two snow days that we have to make up. The state said two of the three days we missed this week doesn't have to be made up. 

OBImomma
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:54 AM
I'm not sure. His school usually does not have snow days. This year they have had 2! One for a bad winter storm we had in December and one Monday when the high was -4.
Jemia
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
They have a set amount they can use before they have to make them up.
Jenn8604
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:31 PM
They schedule in 5. They've used 6 already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcook55
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:53 AM
They tend to take snow days away from spring break I don't remember how many days we have used. Last Monday school was canceled cuz it was way to cold -35 degree weather and there was no electric at the school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)