Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homework

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 97 Total Views

How much or how often do they have homework?

by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tramcd
by Owner - Tracy on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:26 PM

It is quiet interesting how they do homework in my daughter's class. They have a chart with four stars each day from Monday thru Thursday. The kids have to set a goal of how many stars they will try to do each week of homework. Each star gets colored in for one homework item. There is then another sheet with the list of things they can do for homework in each area, which the areas are reading, writing, math, and spelling. Each area has several different tasks listed they can work on. For example, the math currently has count 0 -120, count to 100's by 2's 5's or 10's, do addition and/or subtraction facts without counting on fingers, and work on odd and even numbers. When they complete one activitiy they get to color in a star and highlight what area they completed. This list changes only every other month. I am curious to see if they will be getting any other kind of homework besides this, because I think doing the same things the rest of August and all of September is going to get very boring for my daughter quickly.

kcook55
by Kimberly on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM
That is interesting. We are on day 2 and no homework yet.
diaperstodating
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM
My son starts first grade on Monday.
aj23
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Mine has two books to read stories out of plus one or two worksheets Monday thru Friday. It's all really easy but the first month or two is usually review and it'll get harder as the year goes on.
The only thing that bugs me is how easy the reading is. My son read the entire reading book within 30 minutes the first night he had it and they won't be finished with the book until Halloween.
Mrs.Bolin
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Today is only the 4th day but so far all she has to do is read any book from home or library to me everyday and go over her 10 vocabulary words for the week like last year.She also has a list of Dolch Pre-Primer sight vocabulary word that we go over. There are 40 words. She already has known them all since kindergarten

yesterday she brought home a reading book with a story in it that she had to read to me. She will bring it home again tomorrow and read it to me. Thats what we are doing this week. Not sure if she will have any homework this weekend besides reading. 

Mrs.Bolin
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Today she brought home two library books to read by tomorrow and also the short little story in a reading book that the class is working on this week

Sillieguze
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM

My son is supposed to read for 10 minutes each night.  The past 2 days he's brought home a math workbook page to go along with their math lesson for that day.  Each page only took him about 5 minutes to complete.  

urbpro
by Carla on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Mine haven't started homework yet but if it's like Kinder, they will have a math sheet and a reading sheet every day along with writing practice, reading and a science and math calendar.

SciFiMama91
by Head Admin - Ashley on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:36 PM
He gets a packet to do during the week plus a monthly reading chart. He finished the entire packet Monday.
diaperstodating
by Member on Sep. 22, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Monday - Thursday he has to read for 20 minutes, and he has a page of math homework and a page of ELA homework.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)