Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is old fashioned living for you?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 164 Total Views

I love the idea of homesteading and love reading books on real women who made the trip from Europe to America and set up homesteading here in the "west." I'm reading one now that I found at the library. It's on Eleanor Pruitt Stewart...

Anyways...What are some ways that you do things the old fashioned way?

Would you enjoy living off the land?  

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
michiganmom116
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I garden and can.

We raise chickens for food, and I can do everything on processing day but kill them.

We use wood heat as our primary source of heat.

My parents taught me how to build a log cabin, use wood for cooking/heating, raising and caring for animals for food, gardening, canning/preserving/dehydrating, milk a cow or goat by hand, fish rivers or lakes, sew clothing and blankets, make candles from raw honeycomb (beeswax) or tallow or paraffin, stuff sausage casings, feed sourdough and use it to make bread, pancakes, etc.....I've even used an outhouse for a couple of weeks at a time while on vacation  LOL

I can appreciate the work it takes for old-fashioned living.  I just don't think I have the energy to live that way all the time.

Rhonda

cjsix
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I garden and can somethings,could use an outhouse if needed,know how to fish,sewing is something I like doing,I am learning about herbs and natural ways of doing things when sick,I know some "weeds" that are edible...I sure wish I knew a lot more though.
oredeb
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM

oh yea homesteading is how we have always lived, but now in the city its a bit harder! it was like the beverly hill billys coming to the big city!

i still have  a garden, cant have any bunnies or chickens or goats here!

i cook from scratch, try not to have to buy anything but impossible.

i make our medicines(raise the herbs for this) make our own soaps(bath, laundry, dish), make our lotions, chap sticks, things like that,

i use to sew our clothes, but its to expensive!, make our own cleaning supplies, laundry soap, scouring pd, etc.  still have to buy the baking soda, hyroden peroxide, etc to make them with.

make my own curriculum for our schooling, also buy some of the books

i can, freeze, dry everything i can for the year, make own condiments, jellies, broths, mixes, etc.

we hunt and fish, clam, crab,to stock the freezer, this hunting trip is for elk

christianmom972
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Yes....to a point I guess.  Sometimes I just feel lazy : (

I do hang laundry most of the time and make applesauce and strawberry jam.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)