Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for dealing with depression

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 79 Total Views

I thought maybe we could all add a personal note on how we all deal with those days, or weeks, when we just can't seem to get our heads above water...

As Christian women, we have a benefit that others don't... We have the Lord, the Holy Spirit comforting us and giving us strength during the times when Satan is attacking us. And I won't sugar coat it... That's where depression comes from... The enemy.

I won't go into a great length about my past, but I spent nearly 2 years of my life dealing with a severe depression from the ages of 18-20. I had gone through a break up with the guy I thought I was going to marry... Looking back, I can see how his sweet talking ways were just that... SWEET TALK... Talk is cheap...  I was beginning to suffer from severe migraines and chronic fatigue syndrome...I had basically started sleeping during the day and staying up at night because of the medication I was taking. My whole physical system was out of whack... But, praise the Lord... He brought me through the whole ordeal. I hate thinking back on those several years... I detest them.

I know life is a journey and not all of it is roses and butterflies... But I can honestly say, that if I hadn't gone through that dark time in my life, I wouldn't be what I am today.

The Lord nudged me through it all and taught me so very much about my spiritual importance. Even though I didn't get the one I thought I was supposed to marry at the time, I learned that God always has something BETTER. ...He has grown me tremendously and keeps teaching me and guiding me each day.

So...can we each list something that helped/helps you get through the depressing times in your life? I know we all have something to share. : )

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AubreyRed
by Hannah on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM

BUMP!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Realize...FEEL that depression is a dark cloud, a dark presence between you and God.  There is no way WE can reach through that, but confessing our weakness to God and asking him to reach down to us will work.  Pray without ceasing!

I had a breakdown in 1995, complete with severe, crippling depression.  I could barely walk to the living room from the bedroom and often curled up on the floor in almost physical pain.  i didn't tolerate anti-depressants, either, so coming out of it was all between me and God.  Once I prayed, once I realized my human weakness in the face of God's power and I asked him to reach down and take my hand, it was only a couple of weeks before I was a very functioning human again.

AubreyRed
by Hannah on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)