• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make Your Own Yeast

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 261 Total Views

Sorry for leaving you ladies again! I'm back now. Hopefully for good this time!

I've put this in the "Recipes" section because, although it isn't really a recipe, it goes right along with food stuff.

When prepping, grains are a great item to store. They can be stored for around 10 years and have lots of uses. But what do you do when you have no yeast?? Yeast only stores for about a year so it's not exactly a preppers first choice.

Remedy to this problem? Well you CAN use your grains without yeast, but where's the fun in that?? By the time we need to use this method, we should all have the tools to do this anyway!

Making Yeast

What you will need:

A jar with lid (If you're prepping and don't have mason jars, something is wrong!)

Fruits, veggies, herbs (Go forth into your garden! Most fruits, etc. have yeast growing in their skins. Berries and apples are the best from what I've learned.)

Water (You're a prepper. You have plenty of this already,right?)

Three days to spare

What to do:

1. Cut your fruits,etc. into chunks and fill your jar 1/4 to half full.

2. Fill the rest of the jar with water. Leaving about 1/4 of air space left.

3. Close your jar and sit it in the sun for three days.

4. It should have little bubbles in it. That means it's working. You may want to check your jar daily and open it for a second to keep it from bursting.

To use:

Simply use the water from the jar in place of whatever water is called for in your recipe. Allow to rise and bake as normal :)

This is my first time trying this, so I can't promise perfect results. I will certainly update daily to let you guys know how everything is going.

Day One (12/30/2013):

I used one small apple and one small orange. Both were a little over ripe. Placed jar outside at aprox. 9:00am.

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
whitewinterose
by Prepper in Training on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be interested in how this all turns out. :) 

KnittinMama
by Prepper in Training on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, me too! As a baking nut yeast is a staple in my kitchen.
CjHonza
by Pro Prepper on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:49 AM
Hi ladies! I got a job the next day so I haven't had time to try this. But I do have my yeast and hope to try this soon.
thefiregoddess
by Noob on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:53 AM
I can't wait to see the results.
CjHonza
by Pro Prepper on May. 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM
I've been SO busy! That jar is long gone, but it did turn out amazing! I'll do another one soon and show you guys.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)