Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your life revolve around your kids?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM
  • 45 Replies

according to pamela druckerman in her book "bringing up bebe" French parents think their lives are out of balance if their lives revolve around their kids. they say there should be a balance between all parts of life--work, being a mom, being a wife, "me" time.

are all of the aspects of your life balanced, or are you too heavily skewed in one way or another?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:02 AM

i feel a little unbalanced right now, but thats bc my boys are so little still (baby is only 7mo). and also bc DH is all for a wife who stays at home and does nothing else than play with the kids. he wishes i wouldnt work at all.

TerriC
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I do think for the most part my life does revolve around my kids.  It's not such a bad thing though.  :-)

HotSouthernMess
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM

My family IS my life. I don't think there's anything wrong with that either. 

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:02 AM

When my kids were little, it was more revolved around them, had to be, they have many needs at that time. As they got older, not so much. We're very involved in school activities and extra-curricular functions, but we aren't with her every minute of the day anymore, and sometimes we do something just for us. We do not have what I have heard called a "child-centered household" where all decisions are made dependent on what the child thinks, not what is necessarily best for them. Like what food to eat, what tv shows to watch, where to go on vacation, what leisure activities to do at what times. Parents are always asking the children, "what do you want", and letting the child make the decisions.

We consider what is best for the child, and we the parents make the decisions. We consider what they want and more importantly need, and listen to them, but the decisions are made by us. They often have choices, depending on their ages, and they learn to make decisions as they are given more opportunities as they get older. The 13 year old makes her own bedtime decisions, she's learned she needs a lot of sleep and goes to bed early-varying times depending on how early she has to get up, but she didn't have the ability to make that choice when she was younger.  

Sisteract
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

No- they are 23 and 26

LindaClement
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I think no one's life should 'revolve' around anyone ... 

I've never understood the idea that moms need time 'to be themselves' --who on earth are they 'being' when their kids are around?

LindaClement
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I agree. I think it's about priorities.

Quoting HotSouthernMess:

My family IS my life. I don't think there's anything wrong with that either. 

brittany208
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM

lol.

they are only being one PART of themselves. theres a lot more to me than just a giant pair of boobs and arms (though it doesnt often feel like it...). i like to do things other than just being mom all day long.

Quoting LindaClement:

I think no one's life should 'revolve' around anyone ... 

I've never understood the idea that moms need time 'to be themselves' --who on earth are they 'being' when their kids are around?

brittany208
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:34 PM

do you think your kids are in for a wake-up call when they leave the house (that revolves around them) and go into the real world (that doesnt really care about what they want/think)?

Quoting TerriC:

I do think for the most part my life does revolve around my kids.  It's not such a bad thing though.  :-)

MistressMinerva
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:46 PM

No, my daughter is going to be 26.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)