Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone only used a a convertible car seat...

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:37 PM
  • 29 Replies
Starting from birth? If so how did you like it? Was it convenient? We are able to get a brand new convertible car seat that starts at 5lbs from the children's hospital for $25. I know it's a great car seat (just forgot the name) because we have the same one for our toddler. I have always had the infant carrier/stroller combo so I'm nervous to use something different. But hubby says it's a waist of money to get a new combo when we have the new convertible seat.

What's y'all's opinion??
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Freckles85
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I was going to with the twins. But my stupid hospital wouldn't let me take them home if I dint have the infant carseat smh
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Is it the Cosco Scenera? Great, bargain priced seat. I used them as back up seats in my dh's car and my in law's. I'd question how well they fir tiny newbies, though. I'm going to check on the lowest harness height...
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
The Scenera rear faces to 35 pounds, forward to 40. Lowest harness is 7", which may or may not fit a newborn. Many of the newer seats marketed for small newborns and preemies had 5" lowest harness. If it fits it's a good seat at a great price. (I know our main campus hospital has car seat techs that do clinics and offer the Scenera for smaller babies and the Evenflo Maestro for older kids, forward facing to high back booster seat.)
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Even better the new Scenera rear face to 40 lbs.
NicLof2
by Nicole on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM
The woman in charge says it's for premies 5lbs to kids 40lbs rear facing then forward up to 50lbs. They normally sell them to parents for $50 but if you take the car seat safety class it's $25. Thought it killed 2 birds with 1 stone. :) but I'm not good with change so I'm nervous to not use an infant carrier. But I baby wear most the time anyways since I bf. I wander about safety though.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Even better the new Scenera rear face to 40 lbs.
NicLof2
by Nicole on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
That stinks I need to find that out.

Quoting Freckles85: I was going to with the twins. But my stupid hospital wouldn't let me take them home if I dint have the infant carseat smh
OliviaLouise29
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:00 PM
You could always use a snuggler or a newborn head rest thing to make it better for very small babies

Quoting NicLof2: The woman in charge says it's for premies 5lbs to kids 40lbs rear facing then forward up to 50lbs. They normally sell them to parents for $50 but if you take the car seat safety class it's $25. Thought it killed 2 birds with 1 stone. :) but I'm not good with change so I'm nervous to not use an infant carrier. But I baby wear most the time anyways since I bf. I wander about safety though.

MamaNickelatti
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this
You aren't supposed to use them. They are aftermarket products and unsafe.

Quoting OliviaLouise29: You could always use a snuggler or a newborn head rest thing to make it better for very small babies

Quoting NicLof2: The woman in charge says it's for premies 5lbs to kids 40lbs rear facing then forward up to 50lbs. They normally sell them to parents for $50 but if you take the car seat safety class it's $25. Thought it killed 2 birds with 1 stone. :) but I'm not good with change so I'm nervous to not use an infant carrier. But I baby wear most the time anyways since I bf. I wander about safety though.

MamaTwinkleA
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
In many cases they also void the warranty in an accident.

Quoting MamaNickelatti: You aren't supposed to use them. They are aftermarket products and unsafe.

Quoting OliviaLouise29: You could always use a snuggler or a newborn head rest thing to make it better for very small babies

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proud-mama-05
by Stacy on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:36 AM
I thought about it but it makes me very nervous. I'm terrified of tripping and falling while holding the baby, especially when they're so little. It infant seat at least provides them will cushion/protection if I did. I have never fallen wile carrying one of my kids. It still scares me though, just the idea.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)