Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: :(

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:53 AM
  • 26 Replies

An animal got into our chicken coop last night,  all my chickens are dead :(

a couple months ago, we shot a possum who got in there, we heard the chickens screaming, but this time, we all had a box fans running, so even with our windows open we didn't heard them :(

I don't understand why an animal would just kill the chickens and not eat them. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Didn't eat them??? Santaria common around there? Any neighbors complained about them,
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Maybe neighbor dogs? I can't think of another animal that would kill but not eat the chickens. Some dogs kill for sport. :-(
JacknJill
by Jackie on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM
:(
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:25 AM
How many chickens did you have? Sorry. Are your kids all upset? I can't imagine coming upon that scene.
Proud-mama-05
by Stacy on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM
I'm sorry that sucks 😯
Janis_1975
by Janis on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:32 AM

I think it was another opossum or a raccoon.

Quoting MixedCooke: Didn't eat them??? Santaria common around there? Any neighbors complained about them,

CafeMom Tickers
Janis_1975
by Janis on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:34 AM

My husband said ( I didn't go look)  that there is hair on the wood where it dug under, and says the hair looks similar to a opossum.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Maybe neighbor dogs? I can't think of another animal that would kill but not eat the chickens. Some dogs kill for sport. :-(

CafeMom Tickers
Janis_1975
by Janis on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:37 AM

we had 5 left, we had 6, but a possum killed one couple months ago before we shot it. 

The older kids know, we didn't want the younger ones to find out right before they had to leave to go to school.

Quoting mostlymaydays: How many chickens did you have? Sorry. Are your kids all upset? I can't imagine coming upon that scene.

CafeMom Tickers
thurstensmom
by Beth on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Oh no I'm so sorry :( poor chickens
JenG20
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:20 AM
:( oh no! So sorry!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)