Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you start kick counts?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM
  • 15 Replies
And as I post this I think I posted if a while back lol. So it must be a cycle. Growth spurt maybe. But it just seems like baby girl isn't as active as normal. She's still moving and if I do kick counts like they say after a meal she definitely move enough. Just now as much as normal. Usually she's active allllll day long. Stood dreams messing with my mind!
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenG20
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this
And then shortly after I post this she goes wild!
thurstensmom
by Beth on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Every time I think this very same thing, baby moves like crazy so at that moment I know we're good lol! I dont think I ever really did much actual kick counting with my other pregnancies, I just made sure if I hadn't felt movement in a while that I could trigger it with food and prodding :)
charity987
by Charity on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM
I'm suppose to be watching for movement (or lack thereof) for more than 2 hours at any given time. But that's due to the issues we were having. These guys are SO busy that I've only had 1 near scare with them. They went 1 hour & 45 minutes without moving. But they quickly got back to moving with a little prodding & some juice. I've since learned that chocolate will make them have a dance party!
Jaybay223
by Jess on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Mine has days when she's just super quiet....and then it seems like the next day she makes up for it by moving CONSTANTLY! I have chalked it up to growing :) I do kick counts those days, just to make sure we are hitting the minimum. The other days I don't even bother. I could probably count to 100 in 30 minutes, haha :)
Jaybay223
by Jess on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Mine has days when she's just super quiet....and then it seems like the next day she makes up for it by moving CONSTANTLY! I have chalked it up to growing :) I do kick counts those days, just to make sure we are hitting the minimum. The other days I don't even bother. I could probably count to 100 in 30 minutes, haha :)
Kaybean
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually downloaded a kick counter app just yesterday and plan to start doing kick counts daily now. I was reading about kick counts online after another mom on Babycenter was talking about them and did a little research on them. You're actually supposed to do them at THE SAME TIME every day and you're not supposed to just count 10 kicks in 2 hours. You're supposed to feel at least 10 in 2 hours, but you're also supposed to be monitoring how LONG it takes to feel those 10 kicks normally and watch for a change in the pattern. For example, if your baby normally hits 10 kicks in 25-30 min, but then suddenly it starts taking 90 min or a full 2 hours and you notice a significant change in pattern, it should be brought to your doctor's attention right away.

Her is really good info:
http://born-still-but-still-born.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html
srm8824
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My midwife doesn't ask me to do kick counts but she said if I ever notice a lack of movement then she advised me to eat or drink and try to count 10 within an hour. Any kind of movement though, not just kicks!

If I notice I am feeling her throughout the day then I do not bother worrying myself. 

Kaybean
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:36 PM
A kick count includes any type of movement, except hiccups. Rolls, kicks and jabs all count :)

Quoting srm8824:

My midwife doesn't ask me to do kick counts but she said if I ever notice a lack of movement then she advised me to eat or drink and try to count 10 within an hour. Any kind of movement though, not just kicks!

If I notice I am feeling her throughout the day then I do not bother worrying myself. 

ele2837
by Erika on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM
I've never done them, I didn't with my first either.
Janis_1975
by Janis on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I never did kick counts.  my babies usually are very active, so never felt the need to count.  but if I feel I haven't felt baby move in awhile (haven't done this with this baby yet he is very active)  I will drink a cup of coffee or a sugary drink and that usually gets a baby moving :)

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)